Featured Early American Box

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Jul 12, 2020.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

A John Drissel decorated slide lid box sold yesterday at Pook, from the Linda & Dennis Moyer collection estate sale. Drissel is a somewhat famous painter who operated in Bucks County PA. (1762-1846) and specialized in decorating wood boxes.
    Since this box was signed by him as opposed to attributed you just knew it was going to go for big numbers but, I was surprised it sold for $134,200. USD. Condition was very good, Estimate was 20-30k.

https://www.pookandpook.com/lot/john-drissel-painted-pine-slide-lid-box-4035474

Click to enlarge
    box2R.jpg

box1.jpg

box3R.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And in this case, I guess SIZE doesn't matter!!!!! :D:D:D:D
    AT: 2 3/4" h., 4 3/8" w., 7 5/8".......Thatsa mini box for a lotta $$$$$!!!

3. James Conrad

No, not even a little bit! He made & decorated small kitchen/candle/salt type boxes which could be sold for $1 back in the day, which was more than a days wages at that time.
    The condition & signature really really helped this box, I was expecting it to go big but, NOT THAT BIG!

Here is a saltbox attributed to him at Winterthur, made for Margaret Miller, 1796

11Evans03b.jpg

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

James, your attention to detail and thoroughness is always welcome!! Thank you!! I have a small question for you which I'll post in Furniture separately!!

Any Jewelry and James Conrad like this.
  5. James Conrad

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous boxes, James. Always good to see your show and tell of the things you love.:happy:

As an aside, Pook&Pook are clearly not used to reading German, the first words are Zum Gruß, not gruck.;) Gruß means greeting, gruck doesn't mean anything.:confused:
    At least they didn't read what a lot of English speakers would read.:D

Draft saved Draft deleted