Featured Early American Pitcher?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Alesia42, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Hello!....This is part of yesterdays haul....I noticed it because of its color and unusual shape...at first glance...it reminded me of a Chinese Moon Vase.....I love the color, the way that it drips and trails down in a darker tone....the relief work of the flower...the incised design on the back.....its approx 17 in ht x 8 in wth......its in relatively good condition with some apparent wear.....there is a signature that I cant quite make out....with what looks like the month of Sept 25? or 28?....the year 1880.....If someone has any knowledge on this type of Early American pottery....please feel free to share your thoughts....... rsz_1early_american_or_european_pitcher_001.jpg rsz_early_american_or_european_pitcher_004.jpg rsz_early_american_or_european_pitcher_006.jpg rsz_1early_american_or_european_pitcher_003.jpg rsz_1early_american_or_european_pitcher_008.jpg rsz_1early_american_or_european_pitcher_002.jpg rsz_1early_american_or_european_pitcher_011.jpg rsz_early_american_or_european_pitcher_014.jpg

stracci, Hi2022 and Bronwen like this.
  2. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

A better pic of the signature..... rsz_early_american_or_european_pitcher_012.jpg

Hi2022, Bronwen, judy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The second line is PAT Sep 25 1880. Patented. I think above it, the last bit may say &Co.

Bit of a mix of Westerwald and a Chinese style blue flambe glaze. That blue was a big thing in the late 19th.

judy, johnnycb09, Hi2022 and 3 others like this.
  4. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Thanks!....I am going to try and find out what the resale value is

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

It was made by T. J. Wheatley & Co., Cincinnati, OH.

judy, johnnycb09, Hi2022 and 2 others like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

7. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Wow! Those Victorians certainly were bold style "mixologists". Let's throw in a little Japonisme Aesthetic Movement for good measure.

judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

It's a mad thing.

J Dagger, judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Wheatley did some wonderful pieces, there's one in our local Morse musem that I've often admired, reminiscent of Palissey ware.

The patent, #232791, issued Sep. 28, 1880, was for a glaze technique.

~Cheryl

judy and Darkwing Manor like this.
  11. DragonflyWink

12. Ownedbybear

Oh, I love that.

Glaze patent makes sense. As I said, it's very like the British flambe blues - Minton did a fabulous one.

judy and DragonflyWink like this.
  13. DragonflyWink

Thought you might - it's one of those pieces that makes you want to touch it, but the museum frowns on that. The majority of the Morse is related to Louis Comfort Tiffany - pretty much everything there begs to be touched. A lovely place, close to my house, my Mom liked to go there Friday evenings, free admission and often a chamber group playing (great gift shop, too)...

~Cheryl

judy and Darkwing Manor like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

It looks like a vase brought up from a wreck. The shells are superb and I love the lizard.

judy and DragonflyWink like this.
  15. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  16. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

judy likes this.
  17. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

It was just sitting up on the top shelf at the Thrift store....I was walking by and happened to look up....and there it was.....I couldn't leave it

J Dagger, Darkwing Manor and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted