Featured Early Carved Box

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Aug 3, 2018.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

A "Friesian" carved valuables box is coming to market this month that is probably American, I would guess New York, 1st quarter 18th century that has it's lock missing. Interesting that the back as well as underside of lid is carved.
    " The term Friesian does not mean necessarily that a piece is carved in the Dutch province from which the name comes. These pieces are found from Maine to Pennsylvania, and it is known that some, and believed that all, are native, if long in this country. Similar carving is found on spoon racks and loom stools" (wallace nutting).

box 1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg
    box4.jpg
    box5.jpg
    box6.jpg
    box7.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What a darling little thing! Those stilt-like feet give it (even greater) charm.

Debora

3. James Conrad

Yeah, they are called "bun" feet, common in william & mary furniture and in this case, help date the box. The feet appear to be original, in last pic if you enlarge by clicking it, you can see the dowel on left side of case used to attach the feet.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Dinn't know that (re bun feet) but imagine unusual -- given how fragile both they and dowel are -- that they've survived with box.

Debora

5. James Conrad

Absolutely! On period William & Mary furniture those bun feet rarely survive in original condition because they are so delicate & sliding/moving case pieces across the floor tended to damage/break them. This box however most likely sat on a chest of drawers or dressing table and so the feet had a decent chance at survival.

kyratango, Figtree3, cxgirl and 4 others like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sweet piece of carving; it's going to sell for a few bucks.

7. James Conrad

How many bucks is the question? You realize my history with early american boxes is not good, tragic in fact!

kyratango, cxgirl, judy and 1 other person like this.
  8. evelyb30

More than I'd pay.(LOL) Beyond that, dunno.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. James Conrad

Yeah, i heard that! Probably more than i would pay as well, estimate is 500-1000 but that could be way low.

kyratango, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. evelyb30

If there's any justice in the world it might double that. Early 18th century American furniture ought to bring better money.

judy, James Conrad and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. James Conrad

Well, some of it does, it kinda depends. Auctions are a crap shoot really but, having said that, there has never been a better time to buy authentic early american in my lifetime, that's for sure.
    There is even a "bird" chest "fragment" in this auction, which is WEIRD!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm thinking that VERY NEAT little 'Friesian' box either could have been brought in by immigrants or made by immigrants once here.....LOVE IT!!!!! t'would be anybody's guess where THAT price will go!!!! When's the auction, @James Conrad ???

Christmasjoy, judy and James Conrad like this.
  14. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

James, that should have been saved for Americana Week in NYC.
    Patd

Christmasjoy, judy and James Conrad like this.
  15. James Conrad

Sale is Aug 26. I am interested but is not going to get overly interested the way i did years ago on another early box called ruth! Just thinking about losing ruth's box still stings all these years later!

Ruth's Box

ruth.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AHH, yes, I recall, but didn't that go CRAZY HIGH!!!!???

kyratango, judy, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  17. James Conrad

$8000. just a little over actually. Not sure that was crazy high but yes, it was expensive.
    Pilgrim century stuff (1620-1720) can get pricey in a hurry! but, these depression prices on antique furniture in general has helped collectors like myself. I can afford to buy pieces now that only a few years ago i could only dream about!:)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Lovely box -- So, are you going to bid on it or did your previous experience burn too much?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  19. James Conrad

Well, I am registered but not going after it all out. It's a nice box but not in same class that the ruth box was in my view. With the ruth box there was no doubt it is american, not so with most early boxes. This box is "probably" american but that is a ways away from "no doubt".
    LOL, when i first posted on this box a couple days ago, there was 1 watching, me, now there are 7 watching and, still 3 weeks till sale!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    kyratango, Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  20. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I clearly remember the RUTH box James and how much you wanted it !! I sincerely hope that you win this one for a good price .. Good Luck !! .. Joy.

Draft saved Draft deleted