Early Chair Identification

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Byrd Mann, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Byrd Mann

Byrd Mann New Member

Old Chair 1.JPG Old Chair 2.JPG Hoping someone can provide insight as to what this chair is?? Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2022
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

It looks Spanish - although the damage (missing finial and spindle) would make it a difficult sale.

Born2it, Byrd Mann and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It does. And agree re condition.

Debora

Byrd Mann likes this.
  4. Byrd Mann

Byrd Mann New Member

Thanks for the replies! Any ideas on what the symbol carved on the chair represents? Also ideas on age? It's constructed with wooden pegs if that helps on age. Thanks again!

5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

We really need to see the underside of the chair and the back as well. Similar chairs date back to 1830's or 40's but we would need to see construction, etc.

Byrd Mann likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Tree of Life? Possibly from a church?

Byrd Mann likes this.
  7. Byrd Mann

Byrd Mann New Member

Here are some additional photos of the chair. I searched for the cross-like/dagger image on the chair and found nothing. As stated, the fasteners are wooden pegs...anyone know when wooden pegs fell out of use in this type of construction? Thanks to everyone who has offered insight!

Attached Files:

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Pegs are still often used in rustic construction like this. I really don't think this is terribly old. I do see some straight saw marks on the underside of the seat and this is often seen as a sign of mid-19th century construction. However, this type of saw was probably used much later in a country setting in Spain (or Mexico), which is the likely origin of your chair. The spindles and finial appear to be machine turned. The chair may be an antique but I think no earlier than late 19th century and possibly on into the 20th.

Bakersgma and Byrd Mann like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And that's the style. In Spain (or México) it would be called Rústico or Rustic.

Debora

Byrd Mann likes this.
  10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm feeling 19 teens to 1920s on this.

laura9797 and Fern77 like this.
  11. WoodworM

WoodworM New Member

Yes. Laura9797 and verybrad are quite correct. The chair is considered Mexican and some call them "Spanish Mission" chairs. They were used in the stead of pews and connected one to another on a single side.

Dating it would be a very interesting task, especially to confirm if it pre-dates the Mexican-American War (making it quite desirable).

Mind you, there may have been not-so-delicate repairs made to it throughout its life. Different nails, screws or glues may throw you off a bit it. Nevertheless, when searching diligently, all answers will eventually come - with patience.

Great find!

12. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

I think a product of the Sp Colonial Revival craze started by the Panama-Pacific Ex. that took the Western states as well as the whole of Latin America by storm, there fading slowly into the 30s with a brief revival-revival in the 50s. The chair will complement the décor well, but not a centerpiece.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted