Featured Early plate. Confused with marks need help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lavrentii, May 1, 2024.

1. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

4015BD43-BE62-4168-84D8-15AF3B92D10E.jpeg Hello community! I am looking for advice.
    I found these three plates. They marked with small cross and number 23.
    Didn’t find any information. Cross related to Early Bristol marks. But I don’t think so.
    Plates nice hand painted and all three of them are different little bit. So it is definitely something old. The style is like New Hall and Staffordshire. But I need to know exactly what it is. Please help! 5C29D510-59BA-49F4-83FF-38CD409E71F4.jpeg
    C8276627-15C0-4E63-A32D-866A42FFD571.jpeg
    0FA584D3-E487-4FE6-B118-534836117592.jpeg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would guess that the mark is a painter's mark for piece work payment.

John Brassey and Lavrentii like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Can't help much, sorry, but they look like transfer printed (the terra cotta color) with painted details (green, blue, mulberry, black, yellow). But I am no expert so wait for more helpers to stop in. They are sweet :)

Bakersgma and Lavrentii like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I don't know if these are 'transfer painted' or not (imho...don't think so), but there ARE differences in the painting (size and details!) of each plate!!!
    So, thinking @moreotherstuff is probably correct, BWDIK!!!!:happy:

moreotherstuff and Lavrentii like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I guess I thought transfer printed because the area I circled in bright green is done so differently from the the over-painted flowers, umbrella, leaves etc. But like I said, I am no expert :)
    Plate.jpg

Bakersgma and Lavrentii like this.
  6. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Some called this a mixation(sp?) technique. Part transfer and part hand painted. Seen in a lot Limoges plates and dinnerware. I am getting a bit of an Chinoiserie vibe.... especially the flowers and the umbrella. Almost looks like an early Old Europe scene painted by Chinese artist for export.

Last edited: May 1, 2024
    Lavrentii likes this.
  7. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Also, the puce glaze (purple brown) was very popular in 18th century France. I have found it is easy to sell porcelains with that color glaze.

Lavrentii likes this.
  8. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

This area is different on all three plates, that’s interesting. Yes I agree, it is combination of hand painting and transparent

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Do you have an opinion about value of this set?

10. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Late,eighteenth embellished transfers, I’d have said, and British.

12. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Yea it is British. Found them in Leicestershire as well

13. Ownedbybear

Where a thing is found isn’t necessarily where it’s made. We imported massive quantities of porcelain.

Lavrentii likes this.
  14. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Looks very similar to hilditch. They only operated for a few years from 1822 - 1830. If not Hilditch then similar era. English attempt to copy Chinese porcelain at the time.

Any Jewelry, mirana and Lavrentii like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

That’s a thought. I tend to forget our short lived smaller makers.

Chinoiserie and Lavrentii like this.
  16. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Thanks @Chinoiserie! It is very very similar. Need to find catalogue of patterns! Thanks!

Chinoiserie likes this.
  17. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted