Featured Earthenware Ewer for Attribution and Age...Please?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Jul 9, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

This should perhaps have been posted in Tribal Art...but I don't have confidence that it isn't more modern, more artisanal. Y'all will be my guide about that...I have another similar vessel to post, when I find it.

The height is ~12⅞", max body diameter ~9", spout length ~4¼", neck length ~7½", foot diameter ~5½". That foot is very slightly concave (3/16"). The bulb at the top of the neck is ~2⅞" diameter. The vessel is burnished overall, and without obvious glaze. It's fairly high-fired, as it rings when tapped with a fingernail. It seems to be quite thin-walled, which speaks to considerable skill in throwing, not to mention firing.

The incised singular design (a bird?) is ~6" wide & ~3¾" high, and is characterized by coloring that looks like intentional temperature alteration specific to its location. There's a name for that effect when it occurs naturally and randomly in a wood- or charcoal-fired kiln, but I don't know what it is.

Your wisdom is sought, and will be promptly acknowledged with praise! Thanks for lookin'!

fullsizeoutput_98f8.jpeg fullsizeoutput_98f7.jpeg fullsizeoutput_98f6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_98f5.jpeg fullsizeoutput_98f4.jpeg fullsizeoutput_98f3.jpeg fullsizeoutput_98f1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_98f2.jpeg

2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Just a guess Whit, but could this be a hookah?

3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Agree w/ Laura-Hookah.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  4. wlwhittier

Duh...I'm without clue about that, Laura & bosco.

Perhaps, I suppose. My sense of them is taller, and metallic...but your suggestion might be accurate. Let's see what others have to say about that...Thanks!

EDIT: A hookah has the function of bubbling smoke through a liquid (water?) to cool it, an' remove some of the tars. Such plumbing isn't present in this vessel, at least as far as I can tell.

5. bosko69

A bowl,or a hollow tube and bowl (to place the smoking ingredients in) are inserted in the upright portion of the vessel.The bottom lateral tube is where a fabric or rubber hose is inserted culminating in a mouthpiece to draw the smoke from.You're right Whit-the plumbing is missing,but you probably find new (or old) parts for it on the web.Cool.

6. LauraGarnet02

Aha! Lens images search found this. I can't link you to the page because it seems like a spyware pop-up site. I couldn't hit the back button fast enough.

At least you have a keyword.
    Screenshot_2022-07-09-16-06-13.png

7. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

8. LauraGarnet02

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  9. bosko69

Even cooler-wonder what they might be worth ?

10. wlwhittier

Hmmm...an' so do I!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  11. wlwhittier

But but but...I gave up smoking (all) in '68!

12. bosko69

Good for You Whit-You most definitely outlived the Marlboro Man by 40-50 years.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is in the right forum, because it isn't tribal.
    I have bought kendis for little money because they were sold as hookah bases.;) Even here in the Netherlands, where people should know better.:rolleyes:

Labu kendi means pumpkin kendi, referring to the shape.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    BoudiccaJones and wlwhittier like this.
  14. LauraGarnet02

@Any Jewelry
    Labu means pumpkin (or gourd?).
    That explains why I got hundreds of pictures of gourds when I searched with keywords Labu Kendi yesterday.:p

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:hilarious:

16. bosko69

I looked up a sculptors name yesterday- 'A. Soffa',and got to see lots of beautiful couches (Sofas).Couple other people ran into this problem also.

Draft saved Draft deleted