Featured Eastern Shore Virginia - Chesapeake

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Aug 7, 2021.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

At the dawn of the 18th century here there was a fundamental change in who and how furniture was built. Joiners, who had long been the dominant furniture makers since the middle ages were OUT! and in came the cabinetmakers & their shops who were IN!
    This change started in the late 17th century here in most of the major east coast cities, gone too was the style of furniture. Joined, boxy/heavy/squat riven oak Pilgrim Century furniture was OUT! and in came the William & Mary style which was lighter, more vertical, and largely built with dovetail construction.
    There was an exception to this change, Eastern Shore Va.
    A glance at the map tells the tale, joiners there were isolated by geography & continued making furniture all during the 18th century, oblivious to the change that had occurred on the mainland.
    map.jpg

It was there during the 18th century these joiners stumbled upon creating a genuine American Masterpiece, a form of architectural corner cupboard that has no equal in Colonial America. A fitting tribute to their ancient past & craft.

Eastern Shore Va.- Mid 18th C.- paint restored - Colonial Williamsburg Collection

ACC_2989_a-jpg636935026050000000.jpg

ACC_2989_b-jpg636935026080000000.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  2. James Conrad

The reason all this has come up is, in 20 mins one of these cupboards is going on the sale block. The auctioneer in New England has NO IDEA what this cupboard is, it may as well be a MOON ROCK to the average New Englander, Southerner too for that matter!:playful:
    I am almost POSITIVE this cupboard has been IDed by more than just me and will sell for many times its estimate of $300-600.
    I am leading the pre-sale bidding at $1000. hammer 1300. with BP but am 99% certain this WILL NOT STAND!:(
    Still, there is that 1% chance I could steal this piece!:singing:
    20 mins till sale

108283665_1_x.jpg

3. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

I'm 30th person watching. I registered, but don't worry, I won't bid. Good luck!

elarnia, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  4. James Conrad

So, I got THAT goin for me!:hilarious:

5. Antiquefan

Antiquefan Member

Wow that is really nice, thanks for posting and educating me. I am a former moon rock observer from New England but now live not far from the Eastern Shore. Are the cabinet wooden pieces that turn to hold the doors shut original on your intended corner cabinet?

Best of luck on the bidding and hope you win/won!

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

REEEESSSUUUUULLLTTTSSS, PUHLEEZEE!!!!! Waiting here with bated breath!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. James Conrad

Probably are original yes.
    The major thing that is MIA is the paint decoration, there are NO KNOWN cupboards that have their original decoration. The paint on many cupboards has been restored thru paint analysis.
    There are a couple of blanket chests that still have their original paint decoration.

Here is one with original paint, either at Williamsburg or MESDA

ACC_3331_a-jpg637043949780000000.jpg

ACC_3331_d-jpg637043949790000000.jpg

Firemandk, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  8. James Conrad

It's mine, $3750 hammer or about 5k with BP and tax. MORE than I wanted to pay, that's for sure. Especially with DuPont sale coming in Jan.
    Even paint unrestored these cupboards go for big money, here is one that sold at Sotheby in NYC about 10 years ago, sold for either 40k or 50k, I forget exactly how much, a BUNCH though.

H0046-L00779513.jpg

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Congrats, James!

10. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Congrats! I was hoping you were Mr. 931. I looked at some other results and saw this one that sold for $60K with paint restored by Ned Hipp. How much does restoration cost and is that something you'd consider?

ESC.jpg

11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Congraulations James!!!!!

kyratango, Bronwen and James Conrad like this.
  12. James Conrad

Yes, I remember that cupboard well! It was in the Grey family collection
    (RJ Reynolds family, tobacco people and major patron of MESDA).
    It was 60k Hammer! with BP was over 70k
    Ned Hipp died last year, he was located in Bethania NC, a MAJOR loss in the restoration community.
    Ned was nationally recognized in this field, he started out as a Gunsmith and was known nationally for building/restoring long rifles as well.
    That depends, are you doing paint analysis or going with colors of cupboards already paint IDed?
    Yes, I'll need a painter to restore, and with Ned gone it probably won't be someone local to me.
    The first thing to do on this front, visit Bethania and Ned's shop, did he have an apprentice? is the shop still going? I don't know but I plan on finding out.:)

Firemandk, judy, Tanya and 3 others like this.
  13. Antiquefan

Antiquefan Member

That is really awesome, congratulations. I have a New York 1700's family passed blanket chest made on the farm that my mother "restored", removing the original black paint from it to show the natural wood. Not sure it is worth starting a new thread with pictures.

Congratulations again on the purchase!

judy, Aquitaine, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  14. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Congrats!!!!

kyratango, Bronwen and James Conrad like this.
  15. James Conrad

Post it, let's see what it looks like!

Msalicia, judy, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  16. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Congratulations, James! :shame::cat:

judy and James Conrad like this.
  17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HUGE CONGRATS to YOU, James!!!!! May I ask what Auction house in New England had your cupboard?? I don't buy, but LOVE to follow great antiques!!!! NOT that mine are great, but I do have one or two pieces from our long ago sold summer house that was built in about 1672 (IF I'm remembering THAT correctly!!) And thanks!!

judy, Tanya and antidiem like this.
  18. James Conrad

The Cobbs in New Hampshire, they thought the cupboard was "English".
    UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Not even close, this piece may as well have been a moon rock for all the Cobbs knew, they were pushing a very nice period tiger maple QA High-Boy as their top furniture piece in the auction.
    UHHHHHHHHHHHHH, NO AGAIN!
    They were sitting on a genuine American Masterpiece right under their nose and did not realize it.

There were 27 bids, in the end, it was me and a floor bidder. I was way over my self-imposed limit, if they had gone ONE MORE bid, it would have been theirs, they didn't and I won!
    The auction link
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/108283665_18thc-yellow-pine-corner-cupboard

judy, Aquitaine, Tanya and 1 other person like this.
  19. James Conrad

I may flip this piece, I think I could double or triple my money if I did.
    If I restore it, could probably do better than that, I'll wait and see if any developments in Dupont sale this Jan.

Msalicia, judy, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  20. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Is the blue, interior paint original?

judy, Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted