Featured Eastlake brown marble top washstand

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ElleNVee, Jun 8, 2020.

1. ElleNVee

ElleNVee Member

Good morning I just joined the Forum and posted pictures of my most recent find in the introductions thread but realizing many may not read that I am reposting the photo is here.

Wanted to see if anyone could provide any insight on this piece. The marble top is still in my car because I can't lift it myself but here is the wash stand and close up of drawer pulls. 20200607_073500.jpg 20200607_150251.jpg

Christmasjoy, FishLure and Aquitaine like this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

As you've noted, it's a nice walnut Eastlake piece ca. 1890. I like the pulls too, and the commode door adds a bit of interest. Looks like it's been refinished. It was probably part of a three-piece bedroom set that would have included a dresser and full-size bed. As handsome as it is, it's not worth much these days, depending on where you are. In my part of the U.S. Midwest, assuming the marble is intact, you might get $100 for it. A shame, considering you can't get a piece 1/10th as nice for the same price new.

3. ElleNVee

ElleNVee Member

Thank you. Still a bargain since I got it for $65 at a thrift store :)
    I picked it because I have a beautiful antique Bowl and Pitcher that my mom gave me. After reading the 'how to get a Best response message' I'm including some additional details. It looks as though it may have had an attached mirror or something? I can't tell how the marble-top was attached but as you can see there are holes in the back where screws attached something to it. It is 27"x30"x15.5"
    It doesn't appear to me to have been refinished but those drawer pulls are awfully shiny. Could account for the differences in Wood color on the front as they may have originally been oiled or stained to match? If it was, it was done professionally. Not a DIY refinish.
    I bought it in a thrift store in Phoenix Arizona. And on pulling the drawers out to get the pictures posted below I found a Christmas card to couple in Sun City from an elderly couple in Plymouth Minnesota. I understand the sets were mass-produced between 1880 and 1890. I only saw one other online with brown marble and none with the demon/gargoyle hardware. I'm very much an amateur antiquer but a pretty decent online researcher and couldn't find much. Here are some additional photos. I'll have to post a picture of the marble-top separately as I seem to have run out of space. the marble looks a dull. Any suggestions for care? =full]256610[/ATTACH] 20200608_065406.jpg

Attached Files:

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @ElleNVee !

I don't know much about furniture, but we have several members who do, including @Ghopper1924 who has already replied once.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Someone did a NICE refinishing job!!!! Looks great!! Will look terrific with the bowl and pitcher on top!!!:):):)

And WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!!! :happy::happy::happy:

7. Ghopper1924

I have no problem with a professional doing this restoration, but I do think it's been restored. Not a problem with a piece in this price range. People usually start clamoring for the original finish when the piece goes over $1K or $2K, so as far as I'm concerned the washstand's improved appearance is a plus.

The pulls are cool and add interest, but don't add any monetary value. The marble would simply sit squarely on the washstand, held down by its own weight. There would be no fasteners.

The initials, "K & B," may or may not be the maker. If so, I don't offhand know who that might be. In any case, there were literally hundreds of Victorian furniture manufacturers, especially in the U.S. upper Midwest, i.e. Michigan, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. The number was probably an internal reference number at the manufacturer's.

The holes in the back may be for a mirror. It will help to have the marble top and backsplash to figure that out. If so, the mirror would have sat on top of the backsplash and screwed into the back of the washstand with extended wood pieces.

8. Figtree3

I was wondering about that, too.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  9. ElleNVee

ElleNVee Member

Thanks. Sorry. Just wanted to add additional photos and suggested info but inadvertently re-posted each time I tried to edit.
    Followed instructions to delete text and replace with the word "duplicate".
    Mea culpa.

10. Ghopper1924

OK, I just noticed the marble top and backsplash. The top of the backsplash is flat, which lends credence to your theory that it had a mirror. A little browsing on E-Bay searching under "Eastlake washstand" or the like will probably yield a picture of what that may have looked like.

11. Figtree3

It's fine... that has happened to most of the regular users of this site at one time or another!

12. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Yep!

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. ElleNVee

ElleNVee Member

Thanks so much I did and found something similar with a lovely top piece. Unfortunate it's not complete. But then I probably would not have been able to afford it :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Only thing to add that, with that nice marble top, might be worth a tad more than $100.00 in my Midwest market. Could maybe get an extra $50.00 or so. A coat of paste wax should shine the marble up a bit.

KikoBlueEyes and ElleNVee like this.
  15. ElleNVee

ElleNVee Member

Thank you! I will get some paste wax. Not looking to sell it anyway since I did buy it for my own use. Appreciate the info

KikoBlueEyes and Figtree3 like this.
  16. Ghopper1924

There are plenty of cleaners that will help out with the marble. Keep in mind that the vast majority of marble pieces in the 19th century did not have a glossy finish, so once you get yours cleaned you'll be good to go, even if the finish seems a tad flat.

Figtree3 and ElleNVee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted