Featured Eastlake Dresser?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James D Vaughn, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Hi everyone, I just purchased this dresser yesterday for $60 from a family that is moving. I really like the piece, but I don't know hardly anything about vintage dressers. I plan on keeping it for myself, so what is the best way to refinish it. I've redone plenty of pieces, so I'm somewhat knowledgeable on that. My other question is, is this an Eastlake? I found others like it but not the same. Anyone happen to know the value also. As always, thanks in advance. Danny Screenshot_2021-08-14-04-44-19.png Screenshot_2021-08-14-04-44-19.png

FishLure, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  2. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

Add a nice antique mirror between the hankie drawers on top.

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

It probably never had a mirror, due to the decorative board between the drawers on top, which looks original. Yes, this is Eastlake, walnut, ca. 1890. In the condition it's in, probably worth about what you paid for it, since brown furniture is in an ongoing depression. Still far better than anything you could buy new.

Use Howard's Restore a Finish to bring it back to life (and no, I don't work for Howard's, ha ha).

4. Thank you so much! Before the Howards, should I do some light sanding and basically just clean it up, so to speak. I'd love to make it look as original as possible.

wiscbirddog and judy like this.
  5. I'm absolutely terrible identifying wood. Are you saying this is walnut? Thanks so much again for your time.

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yes, walnut. Before you use Howard's, I'd just give it a good cleaning to make sure all the dirt/film/grease is off of it. Howard's will take care of the rest, just rub it on. The good thing is that all Howard's Restore-a-Finish does is enhance the finish, so it will remain original.

Why not post an "after" photo here, when you're done?

7. 20210821_161551.jpg I know everyone will hate that I painted this dresser, but I'm planning on keeping it for a long time to come. I love it! Thank you all so much, Howard's is true magic!!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Yup - hate it.

Fern77 and James Conrad like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Failed in that regard.....

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  10. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Totally agree!!

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

@James D Vaughn

This type of response is uncalled for, regardless of who the member is. Period.
    I've deleted your posts.

12. And your MODERATORS wasn't????? Getting on my post to say HATE IT??? Very professional! I thought this was a friendly, helpful place. I see the rules only apply to some....Have a great day sir.

13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It’s different to comment negatively on an object, than to insult a person.

Boland likes this.
  14. My apologies. I just believe there's no reason whatsoever to waste my time with a negative OPINION. It's simply disrespectful. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything. Your fellow moderator should learn that. I won't be a problem again.

15. Bookahtoo

I was merely responding to your post "I know everyone will hate that I painted this dresser".

I'm truly sorry if I hurt your daughter's feelings.

Fern77, James Conrad and Debora like this.
  16. That's fine. Apology accepted.

17. Bookahtoo

18. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Also maybe in future don’t start a post with “I know everyone will hate’ and then blame members for agreeing and giving their honest opinion. Yes,most people here will probably hate that you painted it. (including me) But then again it’s yours... and you love it...

James Conrad likes this.
  19. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Dang! I missed some drama? again? HATES THAT! what happened?
    And, stop deleting the drama until I have had a chance to read it, please!:)

20. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Indeed, obviously I am missing SOMETHING else here!
    OP invited people to "hate it" & some posters agreed to hate it? Obviously, I am missing SOMETHING!:confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted