Featured eBay Buy - 19th Cen Wrought Iron Snake/Serpent Shaped Knife Blade - Real?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jan 7, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw this on eBay & made a low offer which was accepted! The seller has good feedback so if not real I will return it.
    Is this from 1800s? I am wondering because of the little ring of rhinestones(?) between handle & blade for one.

I did an image search & saw similar but none the same.

What do I have? Worth keeping for just under $100 w/shipping or should I return it? (the wood case is gorgeous but inside is white so I'm thinking the case isn't 200 years old?)

Thank you!

KNIFE 19th CENTURARY SNAKE SHAPED KNIFE 1AA.jpg KNIFE 19th CENTURARY SNAKE SHAPED KNIFE 1AAA.jpg KNIFE 19th CENTURARY SNAKE SHAPED KNIFE 2AA.jpg KNIFE 19th CENTURARY SNAKE SHAPED KNIFE 2AAA.jpg KNIFE 19th CENTURARY SNAKE SHAPED KNIFE 4AA.jpg KNIFE 19th CENTURARY SNAKE SHAPED KNIFE 5A_A_AA.jpg KNIFE 19th CENTURARY SNAKE SHAPED KNIFE 5AA.jpg KNIFE 19th CENTURARY SNAKE SHAPED KNIFE 6AA.jpg KNIFE 19th CENTURARY SNAKE SHAPED KNIFE 7AA.jpg KNIFE 19th CENTURARY SNAKE SHAPED KNIFE 7AAA.jpg

cxgirl, stracci and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. journeymagazine

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"not real" What did the seller say it was?

judy, stracci, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Looks newer,perhaps a tourist piece.But I'm no expert,AJ can steer you in the right direction.

cxgirl and stracci like this.
  6. journeymagazine

Rare 19th century wrought iron snake shaped knife. Very sharp on both edges

judy, cxgirl and stracci like this.
  7. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I second "not real"

judy and cxgirl like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I did not post the "not real" as an opinion. I only wanted to know what Journey was told by the seller.

judy, charlie cheswick and kyratango like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a post-1970 keris Naga Pengantin, made in Aeng Tongtong* on East Madura, northeast of Java, Indonesia.

Keris Naga means a keris (ceremonial/spiritual dagger) with a snake or dragon on it.
    Pengantin means bridal couple or wedded couple, and these specific keris signify either a union of man and wife, or the union of different sides within oneself. Keris Naga Pengantin are often used during weddings by bridegrooms who wear traditional dress.

The tang is bent, btw. You can see that the angle of the hilt is wrong, the hilt should stand upright. That influences the value.
    This specific hilt type goes with another type of sheath, but with modern keris they don't always follow tradition. It could be a replacement.
    The wood on the sheath is nice.

These Aeng Tongtong keris are made for the domestic market, tourist market and export.
    They are not rare, not sought after by collectors. What you paid is about the value, you won't make a profit. Although you never know, I have seen you make surprising profits.:playful:
    But if I were you I would return it. Not 19th century, not rare, and bent tang.

*Aeng means village, Tongtong is the sound of the hammers of the keris smiths.;)
    Seller's nonsense, of no importance at all for a Madurese keris Naga Pengantin, even a recent one.

10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Good knowledge.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Journey, I have to say this is NOT the way you should be behaving on ebay. Most of your money comes from selling on ebay; how would you feel if every time you sold something someone returned it with a "not as advertised" claim? And they could too - and you should think about that before you return anything. You are not a naive user - you should know what you're doing. And that is part of this game isn't it - take a chance on something hoping you know more than the seller. You win some, you lose some. To return it and make them pay for the privilege of sending it to you, is just not cool. Especially when, as @Any Jewelry says, you paid what it is worth and may even be able to make a few dollars from it.

12. journeymagazine

? The seller had - if I remember - a 99% rating and I bought it because of what he claimed and his rating.
    I've had stuff returned for silly reasons - that's part of the game; not keeping something that wasn't what it was said to be because I 'took a chance'

13. journeymagazine

Thank you Any Jewelry!

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're welcome, as always, journey.

15. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I concur actually

Very well put, you make your own decisions on what you can see, and your own intelligence

That's just not quite cricket

I bought something that I thought I could earn money on, but turns out from other people's thoughts I can't

Oooo I'll just send it back then

Poor poor display journey

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  16. journeymagazine

If it was really from 1800s I'd have kept it even if it didn't sell - that would have been cool, this isn't.
    Sorry we disagree.

BoudiccaJones, judy and cxgirl like this.
  17. charlie cheswick

I thought you'd say that
    I won't hold it against you mate, cause I genuinely like you

Just sounds a bit poor form that's all

18. charlie cheswick

If I looked at your ebay listings, the age would be spot on right ??

I'm sorry, I feel like I'm kicking a Labrador

judy likes this.
  19. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I do not concur with this opinion. The onus is on the seller to represent the item correctly as they are the one that has it in hand and have or should have researched it prior to listing it as "Rare 19th century wrought iron snake shaped knife".

If, as the seller, you don't know what you have, you're not allowed to just make it up as you go along. If they're not sure what they have, they should admit it honestly in the listing rather than describe it as something that they know will garner more money. I always admit in my listings if I'm unsure about something - an age period or some feature of the item.

If they're doing it for this listing, are they misrepresenting other items as well?

If it was misrepresented by the seller on purpose, it would be rewarding bad behavior by allowing that seller to reap the profit on an item that they know they were being dishonest about. If it was a mistake, mistakes do happen, but I think journeymagazine is still well within his rights to return it because it's not as described.

20. charlie cheswick

most things on ebay are incorrectly advertised

Journey wasn't 100% sure, he took a chance, like we all do, and it was a bad one

judy and Jeff Drum like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted