Featured eBay. more claptrap to contend with.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by daveydempsey, Oct 11, 2023.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I've only had one ring on sale on eBay for about 3 years, I kept relisting it but it did not sell for what I wanted.
    I've decided not to relist it anymore, then I got this from eBay.uk

Hi David,

As a jewellery seller, we wanted to let you know that we've extended our Authenticity Guarantee programme to include Fine Jewellery, Engagement & Wedding, Men’s Jewellery, and Vintage & Antique Jewellery. Millions of buyers already shop for these items on eBay, and our Authenticity Guarantee helps you provide better buying experiences and increases protection for your business.

How it works

From 11 October 2023, the blue tick Authenticity Guarantee badge will automatically start to appear on your eligible listings. When one is sold for £500 or more, you’ll need to post it to the UK authentication facility where it will undergo a careful multi-point inspection to verify that it matches its listing. Once that’s done, the item will be sent directly to your buyer via fast, tracked, signature-required delivery - paid for by us.

If the buyer wishes to return your item, it will then need to be sent back to you via the authentication facility, where the team will verify that it’s exactly as you sent it - at no extra cost.
    Prepare your listings
    • Get detailed - Provide the most accurate and precise item specifics as possible when listing your item.
    • Tell it all - Make sure you state the condition of your item clearly in the description. This is your opportunity to show every detail, including any imperfections that need to be highlighted.
    • Show it all - Photograph all angles and include close-ups to reduce the chances of a return.

mirana, bercrystal, komokwa and 7 others like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The list of exclusions and what they can't do is very long, main stone has to be diamond, ruby or emerald (no sapphire for some reason). They can't determine heat treatments, only look at areas easily visible (ie not obscured by mounts). Don't count stones!!! Don't check secondary stones, won't check any jade, quartz family etc. So at present it looks like it's only useful for solitaires, but I guess it may weed out some of the jokers trying to pass off cz's as diamonds under stupid marketing names.

mirana, judy, Bronwen and 7 others like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Wow, that is a lot! But there are probably so many scammers on the site that this is what they decided to do to combat fraud or deception.

judy, Bronwen, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What that's going to do to the cost of shipping!

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Huh, is that just ebay.uk? I haven't sold on ebay in years and very little jewelry however my daughter is doing a lot of jewelry online these days. I'm not sure how much on ebay yet.

Bronwen, cxgirl and Figtree3 like this.
  6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Similar in US. Different dollar amount.
    Their authenticaters are worthless.

mirana, judy, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I have lots of rings I need to sell. Many are cameos, chalcedony, so outside this racket. But many others are synthetic color change sapphires, a stone these GIA grads know nothing about, even though corundum.

pearlsnblume, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Yea, we've have it here I think over a year now. Last year I had some fine jewelry to sell and I just ignored the whole thing. The pieces I sold went through with no problem. Maybe it was voluntary at that point, maybe it still is, or maybe being a small seller I was under the Radar.

All I know is I sold some nice pieces at prices I was happy with :)

9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Supposedly nothing for the customer, but they have increased fees across the jewellery categories, so sellers are paying more overall to cover the cost of the implementation. Currently this new service is for UK sellers to UK buyers only, so if you export the item it's not eligible.

10. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

For us there are a number of issues. They say the will be testing metal using standard techniques including acid. So that's potentially an issue if they damage an item this way.

Also you can't now do next day delivery, and quite a few purchases we get are someone wanting it urgently for a gift. It looks like the shortest delivery will be 4 days through this service.

Another issue is that the customer can still do an 'item not as described' return, which seems odd as they say the will be checking condition as well as stones/materials.

Bronwen, Figtree3, all_fakes and 2 others like this.
  11. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, they're raising fees but can't be arsed to buy an XRF for the facility??? :grumpy:

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and daveydempsey like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

This is eBay standard: if they can find a way to do it wrong that's how they'll do it.

This was coming in here as I was going out. I think they're finally doing more stones here, because some of the highest price per karat rocks weren't included. Things that sell for MORE than diamonds. My advice is to NOT sell fine jewelry on eBay. Period. Too many scammers, and now the authenticity "guarantee" and extra fees. You may make as much and be safer selling it to a pawn shop.

That's the polite term for it. Also expensive. They charge ALL jewelry sellers extra fees to pay for the authenticators, from fine jewelry dealers to casual sellers hawking some leftover Paprazzi junk or dollar store bracelets. They all pay extra fees.

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  13. Barry Stephen

Barry Stephen Active Member

i'm sure the system isn't perfect. a friend uses it selling watches and seems happy with it for the assurances it gives buyers....

lisamerlot and Bronwen like this.
  14. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

So far the Coin Dealers & Pawn Shops offer me scrap,or sometimes roughly 1/2 of retail-but it's cash in hand & there's no chance of a headache about some Ebay con artist in Bulgaria or wherever.

Bronwen likes this.
  15. evelyb30

No low-ballers either. The price is the price and all sales final. No credit card chargebacks to worry about.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

No chargebacks,low-ballers or phony addresses or aliases,I will miss that extra $300-$400,but it wont hurt as bad or long as an Ebay heist.

Bronwen likes this.
  17. evelyb30

Or the USPS dropping the ball... and maybe dropping your jewels into somebody's pocket. Either enabling a scammy buyer or grinding the package up in the gears and sending the contents to Lost and Found. Or just losing it entirely.

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted