Featured Ebay returns question

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 808 raver, May 14, 2024.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I bought this lovely box on ebay the other day, when it arrived I found the lock had been smashed into the box causing internal damaged so I contacted the seller asking for a refund, the seller said "I had done it" so I contacted ebay who gave me a refund on the same day. The seller hasn't sent me a returns label and I already have a refund, this was a costly purchase (over £400), Do I keep the box? or will the seller expect me to return the box? Has ebay refunded me at their own cost? Or is the seller out of pocket for both the refund and the box?

2. 808 raver

New question.. I'm having problems uploading photos I've taken off the web, it keeps saying "The following error occurred: The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension." It seems like webp files aren't working?

Last edited: May 14, 2024
    komokwa likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Picture files need to be jpeg, jpe, jpg, or png files & no doubt others I never use. If your files are webp you will not be able to save them here.

4. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that! eBay likely refunded you from the Sellers funds. Definitely hold on the the damaged item AND all the packaging until you here from the Seller. If no response after a week or so you could message them through eBay and ask about what to do with the item. You may need to take it to the Post Office for any insurance claim and/or provide photos of the damaged item and shipping carton. You didn't say how you contacted eBay for the return (did you report the problem using a return request, etc?), so that makes it a bit harder to answer your question

5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Some sellers offer returns at the buyer's expense. Is that the case here, or do they state otherwise?

pearlsnblume and 808 raver like this.
  6. 808 raver

7. 808 raver

I've sorted the webp problem,

8. 808 raver

Thanks, I'll hold on to the repackaged box until I hear from the seller

trees, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  9. 808 raver

I think the rules maybe different in different countries, here ebay offer a money back guarantee no matter what but normally we have to return the package and then you get the refund. I'll hold on to the box until I hear back from the seller.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  10. 808 raver

11. 808 raver

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like boule work. I'd half hope to be told to keep the box, but I can understand being made crazy by shipping damage on something this nice.

808 raver likes this.
  13. 808 raver

14. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I had a large expensive item (£495) delivered by courier from an eBay seller.
    It was a Mercedes Sprinter drivers seat, described as "Like New" and the photographs proved it.

After unpacking it was damaged by a rat or mice whilst still with the seller and it had bodily fluid staining on it obviously from a serious accident.

I complained to the seller and they called me to say they would put it right.
    I waited a week and nothing happened so I opened a dispute with ebay and after 5 days they refunded me and sent a downloadable RM return postage label.

Post Office refused to take it as it was too big.

eBay said await a courier at the sellers expense.

Nothing happened.

After several weeks I removed some serviceable parts from it and took the rest to the dump.

I was unable to leave feedback

Never heard another thing.

15. 808 raver

It wasn't shipping damage, the seller tried pulling a fast one by hiding the damage by taking photos at the right angle.
    Yes it's English Boulle, and a lovely box and with the added extra of having a Bramah lock.

16. 808 raver

I hope that happens to me :) I could do with a box I didn't pay for

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Now that...grrrrr. If the seller did that deliberately I hope they lost their shirt.

18. 808 raver

I told ebay they did that and yes they did find in my favour, I wonder if they read the messages between us because when I first messaged them and said what the damage was he said start a return, only after that did they try and say I had done the damage. So yes I do hope he loses his shirt over it.

19. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Damn-That would've made a lovely addition to your Box Museum raver.The seller was trying to sell you a load of Boullesheit !

20. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

In the case of damage the Seller pays for shipping if they want it returned.

Draft saved Draft deleted