Ebel Ebello purse watch, help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by tyeldom3, Nov 15, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Af, are you there??:cat: and others, of course.:)
    I wasn't even sure how to open it....I pressed the 2 small buttons on the sides and it opened. Now I don't know how to tell if it works. What do I do? I pulled the dial on the bottom up, and it sets the time.
    Is 1930's the correct era for this? Thanks for your time.
    DSCN3825.JPG DSCN3826.JPG

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It's a very similar but reworked copy of the Movado Ermeto purse watch. With the Ermeto, it is wound every time you open and close the case.I imagine the Ebello (note similar name) works much the same way.

You can also wind it and set it like any other mechanical watch.

The bad news is that it is less well designed than the Ermeto, the good news is that it it is a lot rarer and Ebel is a maker of watches you have probably never seen advertised because you are simply too poor. Therefore it is probably at least as well made.

Mid century, anyway. They never really caught on,but I have had a few of the Movado make over the years.

Hard to set a realistic price. It has to be rare, but it also has little demand.

1930s would be about right

spirit-of-shiloh and tyeldom3 like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

tyeldom3 likes this.
  4. afantiques

That's a more expensive version of the same thing. Now that I think of it I may have one very similar at one time but without the Ebel name.
    The leather cover was the basic model.

5. tyeldom3

Thank you fig, now that's a really nice one!:cat:
    Af, thank you I really appreciate the help.
    Well, I tried opening and closing it a couple of times, and that didn't work. I tried turning the crown and it just keeps on turning, again and again :bucktooth: So sadly, I guess it isn't working:(
    Thank you!

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  6. afantiques

Oh well, if it's no good just chuck it over here.............

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

AF -- I thought that you were de-cluttering or de-hoarding... ;)

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. afantiques

I have a friend who could repair it (sounds as if it needs the mainspring replacing) so he'd probably have it for six months, then after that I could worry about how to find the space.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  9. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I never heard of that name,YIKES! I just found an EBEL ladies watch.........only :eek:

US $28,500.00
    Buy It Now

Tyledom, I still think you scored big,watch working or not. Now I need to jump into my private jet and sneak into Af's shed :p

tyeldom3 likes this.
  10. afantiques

I never heard of that name

See what I mean about being too poor to worth advertising to?

tyeldom3 and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  11. tyeldom3

:D LOL, I'm flattered Af. Just happy to finally have something that peaks your interest!
    Your absolutely right, I've never heard of Ebel either. I guess because I'm one of the poor folk, hee hee.
    When I found it at the sale I had to think about it a few minutes before I decided to purchase it. The lady wanted $25. for it, and all I had on me was $20., and she wouldn't take any less....so I went to my car and scraped up $5. in change. Embarrassing, but hey, it's money, and it still spends.
    I think I'll just go ahead and list it tonight, as is, and see what happens. I might even use the word "rare" in the listing, lol! I've only been able to use that word 3 or 4 times over the years, so ha!!
    I know it is rare, but I agree with Af, and think it might have minimal demand, but I'll hope for the best.
    Just makes me wonder how many Ebel watches, I've seen, and passed up, over the past few years, because I'd never heard of them:wideyed:

antidiem and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted