Featured Ebony Elephant

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by F&C, Nov 29, 2021.

1. F&C

F&C Well-Known Member

Does anyone know anything about these ebony elephants, I know there are millions around made for tourists. This one looks old, also there are three nothces cut into the tail, could this have some tribal significance or just something involved with the manufacture

$_57 - 2021-11-29T122404.738.jpg $_57 - 2021-11-29T122415.155.jpg $_57 - 2021-11-29T122350.939.jpg $_57 - 2021-11-29T122312.208.jpg $_57 - 2021-11-29T122332.508.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You are right, it does look like an older elephant. My guess is pre-1950. Do you still have its tusks somewhere? They would probably have been bone.
    It looks like an Indian elephant. In India and Thailand, where most of these Indian elephants are carved, they are not made by tribal people.

3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Agree with AJ, also I'm not sure this is ebony, I think it may be another wood which has been 'ebonized', hence the surface finish you see.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I thought so too, but wasn't sure.

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of these from a recent trip to Africa. On one, the surface came into contact with something, and the dye/surface color came off.

Any Jewelry, Ce BCA and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Alot of these around. But this definitely looks to have some age. I agree looking at the surface cracks it seems it was painted with a thick lacquer or tar or something. Also had some bone or something inserts on the feet (looking at the chipped areas)

Any Jewelry, Ce BCA and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Like most posters above, I'd guess made in India/Ceylon/Sri Lanka for the souvenir trade; 1950 seems like a good guess

8. F&C

F&C Well-Known Member

I agree I think it has been varnished at some point, maybe to stop it drying out? I've heard the macassar ebony is prone to doing this. I do think its ebony it is the same dark wood without the varnish on the feet, also the eyes are strange not like the other polished ones you see. I think it looks more like a voodoo charm
    $_57 - 2021-11-30T000325.702.jpg

Attached Files:

Potteryplease likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted