Featured Edison Record Rolls - Anyone Interested?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Apr 17, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

These Edison Record rolls are for sale at the local thrift shop for $8 a piece. If anyone is interested I could pick them up and send them. They won't last long. Saturday April 17 10:45 am PST

IMG_0271.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Seriously cool, but wouldn't know what to do with them if I had them!

Ghopper1924 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

I think there are some collectors of old music things but I don’t know who they are.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Wonder if that's anything @Ghopper1924 would have a use for????:):)

KikoBlueEyes and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Very cool, but I'll have to pass. In the middle of negotiations for another etagere :happy:

6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

It's very nice of you to offer you assistance with these records!

If you not a collector and just want cool odd shaped record in your curio, $8 is not bad.

Being a Edison / Victor phonograph guy, my ears always perk up for good old music. That being said, unless you know what you're buying, $8 each is an expensive gamble. Even $4 each can be a gamble when buying blindly.

At phonograph shows, dealers will have bins full of mediocre cylinder records for $4. Mediocre in content and/or condition.

Since I listen to this old stuff, it must be good enough to spend any amount on, like any $1 CD is today.

There are many exceptions and that's were the details become very important.

James.

7. KikoBlueEyes

I didn't realize they had priced them high. I just wanted to make the offer. They get a lot of 45's, LP's and they like, but as you say that's a pig in a poke. I thought these may be rare. :):):)

8. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

One of the sources of information is imprinted on the rims of each cylinder, the records number, the artist, and the title. The artist and title are often enough for knowing personal likes and dislikes. Other factors for value apply.;)

James.

KikoBlueEyes and Gus Tuason like this.
  9. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Kiko, if it is worth your time. LPs from the 60s, 70 and early 80s seem to sell pretty well. We had the original of Walt Disney Song of the South in so-so condition. Sold quickly.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks Pat. I am curious what happens with these records.

11. KikoBlueEyes

Much more complex than I imagined. Thank you for sharing the considerations.

Roaring20s likes this.
  12. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted