Featured Edwardian wedding dress

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by billyd3us, Feb 13, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

Very good idea Bev, I will go do that today, Thanks for this info.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bev, it's fine if you simply use some loose threads, honestly and there's lots of them on that dress. Just clip some from the inner seams. I still think it's rayon.

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

People in the textile, carpet, and vintage fashion trade do it all the time, you won't damage anything as long as you don't snip randomly into a dress just to get a loose thread.;)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Hi Billy!

This is my simple 'at home' test to see if an item is 100% silk.
    I drop a teeny tiny snippet (smaller than ¼") from an exposed section of seam allowance inside the garment into a small amount of chlorine bleach (I use an open salt dip, but a shot glass or any other small clear glass container would work)
    If it's 100% silk, the threads will completely dissolve in the bleach fairly quickly ... like 15 to 30 minutes or so.

A silk blend may be a bit tricky to see with this method, though.

tie.dye.cat, judy and SBSVC like this.
  5. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

Very good idea quirkygirl, Thank You, I will try this method.

quirkygirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted