Egyptian figurine - amber?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ratsy Brown, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Hello

Today I have bought a small Egyptian figurine of a cat(Gestat?) sat on a scarab beetle.

It appears, given the blacklight flourescence, to be made from amber. But I don't want to fool myself, so please take a look.

59 grams, 10.5 cm height

PXL_20210617_160117761_compress47.jpg PXL_20210617_160355923.NIGHT_compress26.jpg PXL_20210617_160325938_compress2.jpg PXL_20210617_160133307_compress36.jpg PXL_20210617_160145992_compress33.jpg PXL_20210617_160140996_compress41.jpg PXL_20210617_160153065_compress95.jpg PXL_20210617_160318338_compress26.jpg PXL_20210617_160157934_compress60.jpg

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I think more likely horn mate.

I had a bangle that looked the same and went that colour, and it was made of horn

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  3. Ratsy Brown

Horn might be right, I don't have any other horn pieces to compare to right now. Have you ever seen those swirling patterns in horn before?

4. charlie cheswick

I have in horn ratsy, but not in amber

5. charlie cheswick

Give it a good rub Amber would smell sweet woody, horn would be a bit like singed hair

Ratsy Brown and i need help like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Bastet.

@Any Jewelry will get here & probably know just what we're looking at. Meanwhile, I'm guessing it is amber, based on appearance under both lighting situations (horn would not glow green under UV), but what you might call reconstituted amber, little pieces melted together & molded. I have seen those thready swirls in amber before.

7. Bronwen

If you give amber a good rub it develops a lot of static electricity & will attract light things like fur or small bits of paper.

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

It has bubbles in it which would indicate Amber.
    Amber floats in salt water too.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Whatever it is, it is a beauty.
    I would try the tests suggested by Bronwen and Davey. Rubbing it is easy, so do that first.
    The salt water test is 7 teaspoons of salt dissolved in 300 ml of water. Unfortunately polystyrene (swirly!) and copal also float.

Another method is holding a cotton bud drenched in acetone against the bottom for a minute or so. Plastics will become tacky, amber won't.

Ratsy Brown, Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Forgot to say, if you rub amber long enough, it will smell of pine. It is fossilised tree resin.

Ratsy Brown, Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  11. Ratsy Brown

Okay, I have done all the tests and I'm still stuck. The smell tests I always do badly with, I will try again with those tomorrow.

Luckily I do have some genuine amber beads in my jewellery box, so I'm using those as my control group.

Also, I think this may be a dog, not a cat?

Positive with the static test, I was able to pick up tissue paper with the beads and the figure.

Negative with the saltwater test. Followed AJ's measurements. Bead floats, figure doesn't. , Picture below

I don't have acetone but I will pick some up tomorrow. Its lucky I don't own anything that produces a flame. I am frustrated and would have stuck a pin in it by now.

PXL_20210617_195545806_compress41.jpg

12. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

There’s examples around stating Amber dust cast resin!
    Not heard of that before but it’s feasible. Agree with Bronwen it’s the Egyptian cat Bastet.
    D54AFE60-AFAA-4C75-B47B-836AE1063102.jpeg

13. Bronwen

That would be Gestat?

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Horn doesn't glow like that under UV. Amber does, be it reconstituted or not.

Absolutely Bastet, it's a replica of a statue in the Cairo museum.
    (Cue Elisabeth Peters now)

Bronwen likes this.
  15. charlie cheswick

This is the pics of the horn bangle under uv that made me think it might be horn

p5.jpg p2.jpg p3.jpg

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  16. Bronwen

charlie cheswick likes this.
  17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Its lovely but I don’t have anything helpful to add.

However, my cat is sitting here and insists it is most definitely an Egyptian cat that was worshiped way back when things were the way they are supposed to be ;- )

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

It looks celluloid to me, charlie, that swirly pattern is not very horn like. Celluloid also fluoresces, horn hardly fluoresces.
    Here is a detail of my Dutch carved celluloid comb under UV light:

upload_2021-6-18_13-21-43.jpeg

The comb is darker than your bangle, so the fluorecence is different, this is it in natural light:
    [​IMG]

A box of mostly horn bangles and cuffs, all horn on the left, the thick ivory coloured one on the right is celluloid:
    upload_2021-6-18_13-25-36.jpeg

The same box in UV light (battery is dying):
    upload_2021-6-18_13-27-21.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    Bronwen and charlie cheswick like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

And then there are of course those special Indian horns, with glow in the dark bands to prevent nighttime traffic accidents:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    2manybooks, Bronwen, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Not amber, even amber figurines float.
    Please don't do the acetone test, the base could stay tacky for long, and you have your negative proof with the float test now. Definitely not amber. The swirls were a giveaway imo.

Draft saved Draft deleted