Egyptian Hallmarks

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Violasm, May 20, 2022.

1. Violasm

Violasm New Member

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice ring, @Violasm , and welcome. It is gold, there is no doubt about that. Is the stone a lab alexandrite?

The ibis mark in the centre is a general mark for gold.
    To the left of the ibis is the fineness and assay city mark, which is too blurry for me to read.
    The date mark on the right is also blurry, it could be for 1978-79, but I'm not 100% sure.

Just tagging someone for help with the photo: @Aquitaine , could you please tweak the marks in this photo?:):kiss:

[​IMG]

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and stracci like this.
  4. Violasm

Violasm New Member

Thank you! The difference is in the right mark. )))

5. Any Jewelry

Different ring, not as elaborate, but the marks look like they could be roughly the same.
    12k was one of my options too, but I would like to be certain, which I can't be with blurry pics. Looks like the same date letter too, but a different assay town, imo.

George Chaney, Figtree3 and stracci like this.
  6. Violasm

Violasm New Member

I really need to know an approximate year it was made. :)

7. Any Jewelry

Ah, so not the same date. Let's wait for Aqui the Tweaker.;)

8. Any Jewelry

For that I need to know what the date mark looks like, so we need our brilliant Aqui.:)

komokwa likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

One poster in the link calls the ibis an Egyptian seagull. Cute.:playful:

Figtree3, kyratango and stracci like this.
  10. evelyb30

If it likes to live near water and poops on your head, car, and everything else...close enough.(LOL)

11. Violasm

Violasm New Member

Thank you! I cannot make these marks more clear, this is the best picture of them! ))) The right mark looks like J to me... I am not sure what stone it is really.

12. Any Jewelry

It is in Arabic script, that's all I know.

13. Any Jewelry

Reminds me of my niece as a toddler, she'd run up to ducks and shout "pidgeons!".:hilarious:

komokwa likes this.
  14. evelyb30

No dear, those are snack-beggers, not flying rats. :p

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SO Sorry I'm so late to the party!!!! We had Internet access problems most of the day!!!! Seems the provider had our account messed up a bit, but our local techies helped the provider get it straightened out....FINALLY!!!!!! SO, I tweaked the mark the best I could, but doesn't mean I understand what I'm seeing other than what looks like a Cardinal bird in the middle to ME!!!:happy: Best I can do!!

20220518_111535 1-gigapixel-low_res-scale-3_00x.jpg

16. Violasm

Violasm New Member

Thanks a lot!!! It's so much better to see now! ;) I hope somebody else can give me more ideas about these marks!

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ibis, as aj says.

Aquitaine likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Perfect Aqui, thank you!:kiss: Not late at all, btw. I was sleeping anyway.:playful:

It is 12k, looks like Tanta assay office. Tanta is one of the cities in the Nile delta. And I am now 99% sure that the date mark is for 1978-79.

Lark, Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I also enlarged the mark on the ring in THIS image....going 3X is almost pushing the limits before the program might distort what's there for something so small, but I don't think it did.....for YOU to decide, @Any Jewelry !!! Does it say 77 or 17? and i and something else below (a prone figure??)

MARK ON RING-gigapixel-very_compressed-scale-3_00x.jpg

Lark, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

:kiss:
    It is upside down, which doesn't matter because it is the same fineness and assay town mark that is also on the ring band.
    North Africans love punching marks on every surface they can find on a precious item. I have an Algerian pendant with something like twelve marks, maybe more.
    You have to love them for marking so much though, I wish other countries would follow their example. It would make life for jewellery collectors much easier.;)

Draft saved Draft deleted