Featured Egyptian Revival Cleopatra face necklace 1890

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Any Jewelry, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any idea of the value of my Egyptian Revival necklace with a Cleopatra face?
    It is bronze or bronze coloured metal with traces of gilding. The face is not ivory but ivorine/French ivory/celluloid. The pendant is 8 cm / 3.14" high.
    It was my great-grandmother's and I think my great-grandfather bought it for her on their honeymoon in Paris, which was about 1890.
    Although it is a family heirloom, I want to sell it because I never wear it, and my nieces are not at all interested.
    Thanks for looking.

DSC07673 (640x516).jpg DSC07668 (368x640).jpg DSC07669 (427x640).jpg DSC07670 (427x640).jpg

2. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Sad that you have to sell something that's been in the family so long.:sorry:

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

It is, and I have deliberated a long time. I still have some other of her jewellery that I do wear. And his signet ring and other nice things.

Christmasjoy and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Are you sure it's not ivory? Big market for this kind of stuff back then in that material, and lots of carvers available. Think of all those chryselephantine figures.

5. Any Jewelry

Yes, it is in that style. It does have straight lines, but no cross-hatched Schreger lines, and it is warm to the touch. So no ivory.
    If it were ivory, the back would probably be open.

Christmasjoy and Joshua Brown like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If I had something like that it would be buried deep in my hoard...er uhm collection, and I'd be wearing that puppy. It's too cool to leave in a drawer somewhere. I'd check with family members first before selling it; chances are there's a kid, cousin, etc who'd jump on it as quickly as I would. If not...at least now you know there's a market for it!

7. Any Jewelry

My cousins are not interested, and they only have boys. My nieces are not interested either. I am the only one who inherited the bling gene, and I don't wear it.

8. evelyb30

In case you're wondering, I'm just about drooling ... keep that AWAY from me! 1920s Art Deco Egyptian Revival necklace. It might even be worth putting that in a real auction, depending on the market where you are.

9. Any Jewelry

It must be older, my great-grandmother died in 1920. My grandmother never wore it, she said the face looked to serious, and gave it to me.

10. evelyb30

On second glance Art Nouveau Egyptian Revival. Darned things even older than I'd thought. The dangle on the bottom fooled me. I can't afford it now; the price just went up!

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Wow -- beautiful! Sorry I can't help with a value.

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

:D:D:D

You can still drool over the pictures, as long as it is on your own computer:playful:;)

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@evelyb30 a napkin for the drool......we wouldn't want to ruin a keyboard!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

xNapkin5.jpg

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

VERY NICE!!!!!!!!

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u certain that's a girl......?
    has a mans face to me !

16. Any Jewelry

That's what I though as a child, but no, she is wearing the Nekhbet crown, which was worn by the Pharaoh's wife. Nekhbet was the goddess of protection and one of the protectresses of the Pharaoh. She was represented as a vulture.
    So strictly speaking not Cleopatra, who was a queen in her own right, not as a consort. She would have worn Macedonian/Greek dress anyway.
    Nekhbet crown:
    [​IMG]

Mind you, there were some very masculine looking women in 19th century art, remember some of those pre-Raphaelite women?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so the headgear is indeed the key......thanks !!!

18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree, when I look at it I saw Art Nouveau Egyptian Revival. LOVE IT!!!!!

19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a few pieces of my Aunt's Egyptian revival and nothing like that. Yum.

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Re the female beauty ideal of Pre-Raphaelite art, can we use the term "strong-featured" rather than "masculine?"

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted