Elgin pocket watch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dragontraine, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Dragontraine

Dragontraine Active Member

4D2A9C27-B6A8-42D5-BFB5-A28269EDD292.jpeg F2FDC88B-CFAA-47E7-88B6-02AFC25D1807.jpeg C920603F-F4FA-4A9E-81C7-041AC193C3A4.jpeg I see this varying in price by a lot online trying to date this piece it’s self winding and still works but is missing front glass

i need help and kyratango like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Is it silver? Size? I would think any decent jeweler or watchmaker can replace the glass! A cleaning might not hurt either?? But maybe I'm speaking out of turn......not really my forté.... @afantiques !!!

Xristina and i need help like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The engine on the back is straight out of the 1930s. It's a streamliner and unless I'm totally mistaken it looks like one they ran on the Burlington Northern. A jeweler ought to be able to pop the back and find the serial number; you can date it pretty precisely with that. These were meant to be repaired, so you can definitely get into them. I've done it myself often enough.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

popular case.......... not sure about the 30's though..... but IDK......

IMG_3153.JPG

i need help likes this.
  5. evelyb30

It's probably close, but the train is a cool design that kept getting used for fun well after the 30s, so...?

komokwa likes this.
  6. komokwa

That exact train design..?? :wideyed:

7. evelyb30

komokwa likes this.
  8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Need to see the movement. I doubt it's self winding. A loco on the case is more likely to be from the seventies til now.

9. Dragontraine

Dragontraine Active Member

Yes it is self winding I wound it up and it started ticking not sure how to do a video to show movement it’s 2” wide

komokwa likes this.
  10. evelyb30

Self winding is when you shake it around and it starts ticking.

11. komokwa

Sorry but that's too funny.....gotta be an age thing !!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Self winding = Automatic .. the watch winds by it's own movement.
    You winding it.. = manual winding.

Draft saved Draft deleted