Elisha Hutchkiss Clock

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Brian D, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Brian D

Brian D New Member

IMG_1529.JPG IMG_1528.JPG IMG_1527.JPG IMG_1526.JPG IMG_1525.JPG IMG_1524.JPG IMG_1523.JPG Here are some pics of an old Elisha Hutchkiss clock. Looking for any information that someone might know about this - age, story, value, etc.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks to have been repainted.

Debora

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think this will date to about the same period as your Seth Thomas.

I agree someone painted the Palm trees. That wouldn't have been original to the time period.

Wait for @afantiques

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The "craftperson" file card on Elisha Hotchkiss gives a rough working time as 1830, based on an Empire clock of his illustrated in a book by Parker. I found him in the 1850 Census, living in Hartford, at which time he was already retired.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I like the repaint, but agree the palm trees are from a much later date than the clock itself. I don't know a lot about clocks, but the date Bakers gave sounds about right. The firm keeled over in 1845, so the clock is older than that. I don't think these sell for much, if you're interested in selling.
    http://www.burlington-history.org/index.html - these guys might know more if anyone does.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The mid 19th C is a fair date for this clock. It is earlier than the Seth Thomas example, the fairly elegant column design preceeded the later and plainer ogee case. It may have a had a similar verre eglomise 'window' to the ST clock, I agree the palm trees are quite alien to it.
    The maker makes this a more valuable clock, as all minor Conn, makers have a US following. I just wish early US clocks fetched a half as much over here.

I cannot tell if the dial is wood or pressed metal. Wood is earlier. .I am not a US clock expert, but there are plenty around versed in the details of minor makers, try the NAWCC forum.
    Neither do I know much about US furniture styles but the column style hints at federal.

Draft saved Draft deleted