Featured Elizabethan C16 court cupboard?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Wentworth, Jan 27, 2021.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, is.
    If you want to get a sense of early English oak, you gotta go where it is bought & sold and handled every day. There are also woodworkers that reproduce that early furniture using the same tools & techniques used in the 17th century. This style of furniture is "joined" by joiners with green wood riven directly from the tree.
    Once you understand the process used to build it, it becomes clear right away what is period and what is not.
    There are dealers who specialize in these objects, I use marhamchurch because he is in Devon where a rather famous American joiner apprenticed before coming here.
    https://www.marhamchurchantiques.com/
    I am sure there are many others all over the UK so wherever you are, I am betting there is someone fairly close by that handles these objects daily.

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Back in the 80's a couple of restorer friends worked just outside Tunbridge Wells making this stuff up from old broken bits of period wood. A massive table would end up as a coffer or one of these other bits. These guys were no fools as they did appraisals for the London museums and knew what the "experts" looked for when assessing authenticity. So their fakes passed all muster as they made sure all the boxes were "ticked".

Loads of this stuff got sold to Europe and the States.:D

Wentworth and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Wentworth

Wentworth Member

Ahh I actually came across marhamchurchantiques when doing some digging last week. He has an amazing Charles II long table! I’m based in Essex so a bit far for me, but there will surely be somewhere closer where I can get a good look at this stuff in person.

4. Wentworth

Wentworth Member

Wow that’s pretty canny! Hope they didn’t break up too much stuff that could’ve been repaired though.

Draft saved Draft deleted