Featured Emblem book: Amoris Divini Emblemata (1660)

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ex Libris, Jun 29, 2023.

1. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

This is a new book in my Antwerp collection, even the theme is new for me: an emblem book.

In the 16th and 17th century so called emblem books (also called emblemata) were very popular in Western Europe. An emblem book is a book collecting emblems (allegorical illustrations) and a motto with accompanying explanatory text, typically morals or poems.

This specific book is called Amoris Divini Emblemata (Emblems of Divine Love) and was first issued in 1615 in Antwerp. My edition is the second one, printed in 1660 by the famous Plantin Press (Balthasar Moretus). Unfortunately the title page is missing in this book. It contains 60 copper engravings.

The author and artist of the book is Otto van Veen (also known as Otto Venius or Octavius Vaenius). He was the mentor and teacher of Peter Paul Rubens.

The book is structured like this:

On the left side page:

the motto (red underlined)

UNA IN SEDE MORANTUR PAX ET AMOR (peace and love dwell together in the seat)

A - References to bible passages and church fathers
    B - A poem in Spanish
    C - A poem in Dutch
    D - A poem in French

IMG_3123_3.jpg

On the right side a copper engraving. Here are some examples:

INCIPIEDUM (The Beginning)

IMG_3065.jpg

AMOR AETERNUS (Eternal Love)

IMG_3068.jpg

AMOR DOCET (Love Teaces)

IMG_3071.jpg

AMOR PURUS (Pure Love)

IMG_3073.jpg

This is the title page (from another copy)
    H0027-L25208085.jpg
    The book is dedicated to Isabella Clara Eugenia of Spain.

IMG_3063.jpg

I'm not sure if I really find this art beautiful. The pictures are very sentimental and a bit kitschy in my opinion.

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thank you for sharing! You have a wonderful collection.

3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very impressive looking. Yes,thank you for sharing and for the interesting explanation regarding a emblem book.

4. annika91

annika91 New Member

Wow, thanks for sharing. The book is an amazing addition to the collection

Ex Libris likes this.
  5. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

I had a van Veen emblem book a few years back, with classical rather than religious quotes, mostly from Horace: Q. Horati Flacci Emblemata. Imaginibus in æs incisis, Notis'que illustrata, Studio Othonis Væni Batauolugdunensis., [Antwerp]: Hieronymi Verdussen, 1607. Badly rebound and missing five leaves, but still with 97 engravings. Hopefully you'll find the comparison interesting. u3542_3.JPG u3542_4.JPG u3542_5.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted