Featured Embossed Silver Betel lime box from Indonesia

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Jonathan T. Wicaksono, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Hi guys, just wanna share some of my uncle's antique here.

it is an Embossed silver betel lime box from Indonesia, it has around 8 cm in diameter, my uncle said it is from middle 1800s Sultanate of Gowa in South Sulawesi, Indonesia. But I'm not really sure, it could be older or could be younger, since it has fish and leaves embossed on it. During the 16th-17th century it was said it was the best era of the sultanate of Gowa, their agricultural harvest and their fishery was at their highest, so probably this box was made during that era. Just my guess after doing a bit of research.

IMG_20171218_103655.jpg IMG_20171218_103641.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, Jo. I was hoping you would have time to post something, and I am certainly not disappointed.
    I think the box is 1800s, as your uncle said.
    To me the style looks Sulawesi Peranakan, like the top two of these 19th century belt buckles, published in 'Gold Jewellery of the Indonesian Archipelago' by Anne Richter:

[​IMG]

Indigenous Sulawesi embossed decoration is rarely as raised and sharply outlined as in your uncle's box, it is usually a bit flatter, more rounded, more like the last buckle in the picture.
    Many, though not all, Sulawesi precious metal objects are decorated with filigree.
    Motifs from the golden era of Gowa and other kingdoms and principalities often continued to be used in later times.

The Peranakan/Straits Chinese community made many items with local motifs and in a style closely related to local styles. It is often difficult to tell which is which.
    Peranakan items are highly collectible.

Jo, is your family from Sulawesi? I've been admiring the textile in your avatar picture....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Such a beautiful embossed work! I have some from Cambodia and Indochina, I always loved their detailed decor:)
    Welcome on board, Jo:happy:

4. Sorry for the late reply. Wow that was a great information. Thank you for the explanation, now I have more knowledge about this antique.

Yes my family is from Sulawesi, how do you know? good guess! are you interested in it? my uncle got a whole lot more lol, will post them here soon.

Thank, Kyratango! You should post some of your embossed antiques as well, I would love to see them!

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Well, two Sulawesi items from one person..... I'd love to see more.

My main interest in Indonesia is Madura and East Java (I still see them as separate entities, despite the current union, call me old-fashioned;)). But I love beauty of any kind, and in my searches I always come across other Indonesian art as well.
    Being part-Madurese, from the Cakraningrat (Tjakraningrat) family, I have a soft spot for Gowa-Makassar. We were often allies, and many Makassarese aristocrats found a new home in Madura after their exile in the 17th century.
    In times past the Gowans-Makassarese were formidable navigators and traders, probably the best in Asia. The Buginese have the reputation, but if you study maritime history they were often surpassed by the Gowans-Makassarese. The Buginese have a beautiful culture too, by the way.

6. Any Jewelry

I would love to see them as well, kyra. I have some very nice embossed items as well, and I'm sure others do too.

Here is are two I already have on file.
    The first one, detail of an antique silver keris sheath from Madura.
    The climbing lotus stands for the search for enlightenment.
    The 'lightning' pattern, where the central axis of the design shifts, is very Madurese. Lightning symbolizes the ability of a leader to act swiftly and with clear insight when his/her subjects face injustice.

upload_2018-1-19_11-0-23.jpeg

The next one is not antique, just very pretty, with beautiful work on the silver.
    A 1930s Yogya powder compact, made in Kota Gede in central Java. Also with a traditional lotus motif.
    When ca 1900 the silversmiths of Kota Gede began to lose more and more of their aristocratic patrons, they were encouraged to make items suited to the modern, colonially influenced taste. The designs and techniques remained traditionally Javanese.
    The jewellery and silverware of Kota Gede were sold in the nearby city of Yogyakarta, formerly Djokjakarta, which is why it is called Yogya or Djokja silver.

upload_2018-1-19_10-47-22.jpeg
    upload_2018-1-19_10-47-38.jpeg

7. kyratango

Your pieces are fabulous Any Jewelry, and all the knowledge about the decors is amazing! :woot:Thanks for showing them :joyful:
    Here are some of mine, they were part of my Grand-Ma and my mother collection.
    They lived in Indochina for most part of their life, from 1911 to 1956... my greatest regret is not visiting the country with my mother:(
    The BIG bowl is a flea market find, all black, for 500 francs (less than 100€!) Resized_20180119_162541002.jpg Resized_20180119_162633001.jpeg

8. Any Jewelry

Wow, kyra, stunning.:happy::happy::happy: That big bowl is a very lucky find. What is that long 'thing'?
    Really wouldn't mind if you showed them separately, not at all!;)
    Ah, so that's where you get your Asian interest from.:)

9. kyratango

Oh, hoping this kind of question is reserved to the board ;):hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    It is a parasol handle, heavy as hell, the whole thing must have been carried by a "boy"!:bored:
    Hum, lot of polishing to do before, even those who live in a cabinet got a bluish/yellowish tarnish... but, you KNOW that! ;):)

10. Any Jewelry

Yes I do, all too well.:( I've started putting Renaissance wax (micro-crystaline) on silver keris sheaths and hilts, only have about ..... to do.:rolleyes:

But I don't mind seeing your silver beauties as they are.:happy:

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's been said before...but...this is a great board !!!!
    The stuff ya learn..!! WOW !!

12. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

HOW COME NOBODY CALLED ME INTO THIS THREAD!?

AJ THIS IS YOUR DOING ISN'T IT!? :eek:

Beautiful pieces!! Very very Peranakan-Indonesian in style. Gorgeous!!

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

We know how hot it is down under....so no one wanted to bug you !!:rolleyes:

or

AJ & Kyra....have it covered !! ;)

or

Ya sniffed it out on your own......didn't ya !!!! :hilarious::hilarious:

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Guilty as charged.:shame: Thought about calling you in, and promptly forgot.:oops::sorry:
    I know, right up your alley, and you're here now.:happy:

komokwa, judy and kyratango like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

When kyra has it covered, it is kyratized.;):D

16. @AJ and @Kyra WOW guys!!! I'm totally speechless!!!

AJ your knowledge about these Indonesian antiques are over the top! That madurese Keris sheath are nice! this is my first time knowing that the lightning pattern in a keris is most likely from Madura, and that powder compact is indeed beautiful.
    AJ You never stop to surprised me, didn't know that you are from Tjakraningrat family! It means you have royal blood in you! My dad are from Central Java, he came from Pangeran Mangkubumi family,the sultanate of Surakarta Hadiningrat while my mom are from Toraja, South Sulawesi, and came from the Kingdom of Luwu family. Since I rarely visited my dad hometown, I think I should come and visited my dad hometown and hopefully I can find some good stuff!

Kyra, Your Grandma and mother sure have good eyes on collecting antiques! After seeing your post I really wanted to collect embossed silver antiques! it look gorgeous! Do you still searching for embossed

I agree with Komokwa, This is a greaaaat Board! Everytime I open this website, I learn a lot of stuff! I will try to become more active in this board.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  17. Any Jewelry

Beautiful heritage, Jo. In that case we are probably distantly related, so welcome again to the forum, cousin.:D And Luwu, what a great background you have. Birthplace of La Galigo, the longest epic in the world.
    My husband is a descendant of the Satyo (may have spelled that wrong) princely family, Madurese from mainland East Java. He was born in Malang.

I am planning to take more pictures of embossed silver pieces I have, but will have to polish them first. I am in the process of polishing and then putting Renaissance wax on silver items, so I don't have to polish anymore. Better for me and for the silver.:)

18. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry - Have you been using Renaissance wax for awhile? I like the idea of a protective polish for silver, and wondered if it is a new product for you, or whether it has an established track record with you.

Thanks.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

I did some research and got some advice from the forum.
    Poisonivy was great, she uses it on different materials. I tried it, and am very happy with the result.
    This was one of the things I was asking it for, one of my antique kerises.
    The silver horse on the hilt was starting to show signs of wear. While I was waxing it, I also used the wax on the wooden sheath, and on the oversheath which is gold plated and showing some wear of the gold layer.
    upload_2018-1-27_21-6-57.jpeg
    upload_2018-1-27_21-7-12.jpeg

It dries almost instantly, doesn't leave any greasy film, and you can handle it without leaving visible fingerprints. And no tarnish of course.
    A great product, I can recommend it, as long as you follow the instructions, like don't use it on things that come into contact with food and drink.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  20. kyratango

Superb result AJ!
    I have to get some now :joyful:

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted