Featured Embroidered gloves/gauntlets

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by LucyLocket, Jan 5, 2023.

1. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

I have just acquired this great pair of fringed gloves/gauntlets. Would I be right in thinking that they are Native American (or Canadian)? I just love the embroidery - the bear looks as though it is after honey from a tree trunk?
    They are made from some sort of pale suede but are very grubby - any advice on how to clean them would be appreciated. They are lined in red velvet which is in good condition. I have no idea what sort of age they would be or if they would have been made for the tourist market? 20230105_130047.jpg 20230105_130147.jpg 20230105_130212.jpg 20230105_130056.jpg 20230105_130216.jpg 20230105_130103.jpg 20230105_130119.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Very interesting! A lot of showmanship in them.

3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Nice find Lucy-wish I'd been there 3 seconds earlier !

Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

There are native American sites to help identify NA items. I have 3 items I am going to have looked at by the following site for $10 per item https://www.artifactgrading.com/appraisals/. I just have not gotten around to it yet. You could also be correct for Canada i suspect. I would not clean them personally. The "Grub" is consistent with use; horse reins would create that sort of staining. Whether old wear or modern ? I would look closely at the stitching of the glove itself. Does it look like machine or hand stitching? Cowboy Action Shooting is very popular around here as well as Rendezvous groups (pre1849) . I have been to the local Rendezvous trade fair and they sell reproductions often made in authentic way for those that dress for these affairs.

antidiem, mirana, Houseful and 3 others like this.
  5. LucyLocket

Haha - the early bird catches the worm! Seriously though, I consider myself lucky to have found them.

6. LucyLocket

Thank you for the link to that site but as I am in the UK I think shipping costs would be prohibitive.
    I've had a good look and there seems to be a combination of hand and machine stitching. I managed to turn one glove partially inside out and the side and finger stitching has been done by hand. The scallop stitching along the top edge is machined. The velvet lining has been partially slip-stitched by hand.
    They have obviously been worn but are in good robust condition (apart from the grubbiness). I would love to know how they ended up in England!

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, Buffalo Bill took his Wild West Show to England in around 1887, for starters.... might want to think about that!!! And that link that @Lark gave you does do internet appraisals for I think it said $10......might be worth checking out....if they'll do it from good images!!! They're well used and VERY COOL looking gloves!!!!

pearlsnblume, johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the machine stitching came about as part of a repair? The ining is so pristine when compared to the gloves, I thought maybe the frayed edges and red lining might have been repaired more recently.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Look like newer parade gloves to me. No idea how old these are.

10. LucyLocket

Yes, indeed it does - apologies to Lark for not reading it properly. I will investigate!
    They are cool aren't they - love the idea that they may have come to England with Buffalo Bill!

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if NA...I'd expect to see some beadwork....
    they look like deer hide rather than moose...

12. LucyLocket

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  13. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

My thoughts as well as Komokwa- I would expect some beading if NA. Maybe different in Canada.

komokwa likes this.
  14. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I was skeptical about the lack of beads, too. But here are some examples from the collection of the American Museum of Natural History - gauntlets decorated with silk and cotton embroidery, with no beadwork.

[​IMG]

GLOVES (PAIR)
    NORTH AMERICAN ETHNOGRAPHIC COLLECTION

Catalog No: 50.1/ 7695 AB
    Culture: BEAVER
    Locale: BC, FORT SAINT JOHN
    Material: HIDE, CLOTH, THREAD (SILK, COTTON)
    Dimensions: A) L:30 W:18 H:4 B) L:31 W:18 H:2.5 (in CM)
    Acquisition Year: 1914 [EXPEDITION]
    Donor: GODDARD, PLINY E., DR.
    Keywords: GLOVE
    Category: COSTUME
    https://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/databases/common/image_dup.cfm?catno=50.1/ 7695 AB

[​IMG]

GLOVES (PAIR)

Catalog No: 50.1/ 7706 AB
    Culture: BEAVER
    Locale: BC, FORT SAINT JOHN
    Material: HIDE, CLOTH, THREAD (SILK, COTTON)
    Dimensions: A) L:31 W:18 H:3 B) L:31.5 W:21 H:2.5 (in CM)
    Acquisition Year: 1914 [EXPEDITION]
    Donor: GODDARD, PLINY E., DR.
    https://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/databases/common/image_dup.cfm?catno=50.1/ 7706 AB

[​IMG]

GLOVES (PAIR)

Catalog No: 50.2/ 944 AB
    Locale: NWT, MACKENZIE RIVER
    Material: HIDE, CLOTH, THREAD (SILK, COTTON), SINEW?
    Dimensions: A) L:35.5 W:20 H:3 B) L:35.5 W:24.5 H:2 (in CM)
    Acquisition Year: 1917 [PURCHASE]
    Donor: THOMPSON, WILLIAM
    https://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/databases/common/image_dup.cfm?catno=50.2/ 944 AB

[​IMG]

GLOVES (PAIR)

Catalog No: 50.2/ 5976 AB
    Culture: SALISH, INTERIOR SALISH
    Locale: BC?
    Material: HIDE, THREAD (SILK), CLOTH
    Dimensions: A) L:34 W:34 H:1.5 B) L:33.5 W:31.5 H:2 (in CM)
    Acquisition Year: 1953 [GIFT]
    Donor: AKHURST, HERMAN
    https://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/databases/common/image_dup.cfm?catno=50.2/ 5976 AB

reader and komokwa like this.
  15. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I found what I think are those gauntlets that sold at auction for $260 back in 2019.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/72650566_70542-a-pair-of-plateau-pictorial-embroidered-hide-gau
    upload_2023-1-6_13-23-45.png

reader, komokwa and 2manybooks like this.
  16. LucyLocket

Oh yes, that must be them - they have the same initials. The price has gone up a bit in three years! Wonder if anyone will actually pay what the seller is currently asking!

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I doubt it.......
    they are not that old....as those others 2mb has found..

18. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Lovely! They look very much like the set of gloves that my sister inherited from my Great-Grandfather who immigrated to Montana in 1890. They were certainly Native made at the time... I'd send a photo if I had one.

Cheerio!
    Leslie

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted