Featured Embroidered Lace

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Rosiposey, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Rosiposey

Rosiposey Member

Can anyone tell me how old this and what it might be called (other than embroidered lace) :) I can't find any photos of other works like this and would like to know how much I might expect to sell it for. Thank you so much. Embroidered Lace Birds.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

For several very good reasons....it is unlikely that anyone here could put a price on this lovely item.

If we can identify it...more or less...then you could search for similar ones that have been sold recently , to get a fair market value.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Rosi, do you mean it was embroidered on lace? On tulle maybe?

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It's hard to see anything "lace-y" about the base material. Even by zooming in to over 200%.

Figtree3, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Maybe it should be like this, so the position of the stem, flowers, and birds look more natural?

upload_2022-12-2_15-33-14.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Agree. I can't make out any detail.
    Need some close-up photos, please.

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Rosiposey

Rosiposey Member

Thank you all so much for your insight and for turning the photo around:) Here are a couple more closeups. Of course it is crewel on tulle not embroidered lace. I might have had more luck with my research! I would be really interested to know how old you think it is.
    tulle closeup 1.jpg Tulle closeup 2.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I think I would call this a form of "Tambour" lace work. I don't think I've ever seen it with a backing fabric before. Interesting. I suspect it is machine worked.

Tambour lace refers to a family of lace made by stretching a fine net over a frame and creating a chain stitch using a fine hook to reach through the net. If you google "tambour lace" - you will see examples of "tambour lace" which is a chain stitch worked directly on a netting and "tambour embroidery" which is a chain stitch worked upon fabric. You seem to have a hybrid of both. I think it is very effective! I like it!

Without seeing the back, I can't be sure that it is machine made. If it is machine made, that would date it to probably no earlier than the late 1800's.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheerio,
    Leslie

Figtree3, gmcculloh, bluumz and 2 others like this.
  9. Rosiposey

Rosiposey Member

Thank you so much for your in-depth reply. I apologize for my delay in responding, I’ve been down with a very long bad case of bronchitis. The piece is framed, which is why it looks like it’s on backing. I will take a new picture out of it out of the frame and re-post

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Glad you're back, but please take good care of yourself.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my case of bronchitis can last for 2 to 3 weeks......or more...

get well soon !

12. Any Jewelry

I had it for two months once, just after we moved from Australia to the Netherlands (bad idea), even though I stayed safely at home. So it is something to take seriously.

13. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Get well soon @Rosiposey. I've had bronchitis many times - no fun! Hangs on and is miserable! I love your "handle"!
    Unless there is some reason you wish to take it out of the frame... I'm fairly certain that it is machine worked.
    Is the fabric wool? or felt? Just curious!
    Get well! Leslie

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's good to hear that you are feeling better after bronchitis, @Rosiposey . Be well!

Draft saved Draft deleted