English Figurine Identification Assistance

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Fenwayfan77, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Fenwayfan77

Fenwayfan77 New Member

Hello

This Christmas, my mother provided me with a number of my English grandmother's China pieces and other ceramics. She requested that I attempt to determine the history/nature of one piece in particular. I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone might be able to provide about a particular English figurine including, but not limited to, the manufacturer or artist, approximate date of production, make/model/set (for lack of a better term), approximate value, etc. If anyone is able to shed some light on this piece, it would really mean something to my mother as my grandmother passed a number of years ago. She was originally from Southampton, England and left just after WWII. I unfortunately don't know the timeframe in which she acquired the piece. It appears as if the letters painted on the bottom of the piece are "K.W." although I may be mistaken.

Thanks again in advance.

Mike

IMG_2408-1.jpg IMG_2410-1.jpg IMG_2413-1.jpg IMG_2414-1.jpg

Aquitaine likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Fenwayfan! :)
    Someone will be along who knows about your mug.

Bronwen likes this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I believe it says, or is supposed to say, Genuine Staffordshire Hand Painted Shorter & Son Ltd. England.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

5. Bronwen

They seem to have made many versions of Toby mugs.

6. Fenwayfan77

Fenwayfan77 New Member

Wow. That was quick. Thank you so much!

7. Bronwen

Is yours a miniature like this one on Ruby Lane?

8. Fenwayfan77

Fenwayfan77 New Member

Awesome. Thank you!!

9. Fenwayfan77

Fenwayfan77 New Member

Yes. It's definitely miniature! I probably should have mentioned that in my original post. Ha.

10. Fenwayfan77

Fenwayfan77 New Member

Thanks again everyone for your assistance! I have one last question. My mother is claiming that she saw a similar piece on "antique roadshow" where the "K.W." signature indicated to the appraiser that it had a significant value. Is there any validity to this claim? Also, if that information is unknown to those on this board, is there a way or another site where I might acquire further? Thanks again. I have a feeling it was just the quick initials of the person who painted it, but I could be wrong.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Bronwen

Both could be true, either because painter is considered especially desirable, or as an indicator of time period of making.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  12. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Since the paint is nothing special, I can't imagine the initials would be significant.
    But WDIK.

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Shorter stuff is generally of lesser value, I'm afraid. And decorators' initials will only add value if it's top end ceramic: Doulton Lambeth or Worcester, say. Toby jugs generally have dropped a great deal in value.

The one interesting thing about Shorter is that it's the family Clarice Cliff married in to.

Draft saved Draft deleted