English or Dutch Bottles?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by TraceyB, Oct 28, 2020.

1. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

Hello
    Approximately 20 years ago a local Sasak woman on Lombok Island gifted me these two bottles. She was in her 90's. She spoke no English and I had limited Indonesian so I didn't learn how she came about them. I'm interested to know if they may be English or Dutch and an approx age. The height of the tall one is about 8.5 inches and the other one is about an inch shorter. One of the bottles has some lettering stamped into it but I can't make out what it says.
    Thanks so much. 20201028_184544.jpg 20201028_184602.jpg 20201028_184624.jpg 20201028_184641.jpg 20201028_184654.jpg 20201028_184707.jpg 20201028_184733.jpg

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Tracey, could you rub some cocoa on the mark? That could bring out the letters.
    Right now I think I see ASSEN on the lower half. It could be part of a word, but there is also a town called Assen in The Netherlands.

Figtree3 and TraceyB like this.
  3. TraceyB

Let me see if I have. Just a sec

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. TraceyB

No. I dont have any. What about ground paprika? Otherwise I will need to wait until the morning

5. TraceyB

Well, that didn't work!!! Because the bottle is glazed it's not rubbing in. Unfortunately it will need to wait until tomorrow. Rats!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

:(
    Can you figure out what the letters are, and tell us what you see? Doesn't matter if you haven't got them all, if you have most of them we can probably tell if it is English or Dutch. Or something else.;)

TraceyB likes this.
  7. TraceyB

Really difficult to work out because part of it has worn off but I think I can make out from bottom left A-S-CorG-C,GorO-?-?-?-?-?-MorN-A--S. Not much help I'm afraid. :depressed: 20201028_210233.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I can't make anything of it either, but maybe the ceramics people will recognize it in a heartbeat. @Ownedbybear , one of yours maybe?;)
    The mark looks like it was never pressed all the way.

9. TraceyB

I think you are right. Frustrating......

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Let's wait for the others.:)

i need help and TraceyB like this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Look at ginger beer stoneware bottles. That mark says Glasgow I believe.

I can't search right now but perhaps that will get you started while waiting for better help:)

Bakersgma, komokwa, blooey and 5 others like this.
  12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

13. TraceyB

Yes, I think it definitely says Glasgow now that you mention it. So quite old?
    Thanks @say_it_slowly

i need help likes this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Check the comments in @i need help link

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

British stoneware, absolutely typical. Made extensively in London, including by Doulton. Scottish ones are a little more unusual, nineteenth century. For beer.

16. TraceyB

Fantastic!!!! This has been a mystery for me for many years. I love that there is so much knowledge on this forum

17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Another way to id small markings is to use candle smoke. Cover the marking in candle soot and use a piece of cellophane tape to pick up the mark. It is amazing what you are able to see. I usually put the tape on a note card for reference.
    greg

TraceyB, i need help, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  18. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

We call these ginger beer bottles in Canada

TraceyB and Aquitaine like this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

We do ?? .......................................................................................:playful::playful:

TraceyB and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Out west, the bottle show people do, not sure what you easterners call 'em:beaver:

Fid and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted