Featured English spoon marks help, please

Discussion in 'Silver' started by i need help, Apr 16, 2020.

1. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

43FA59D9-1704-45BB-8ECD-80C9A1B5979C.jpeg 00D436E2-FD04-46FE-8E54-63313A27807E.jpeg Hi Everyone,

I have 3 spoons en route. They all have the same design and monogram, but different marks. There is some damage to one, and marks on some are very worn. This one had the clearest photos on the listing.

I thought it was Newcastle. I couldn’t find “OR” maker. Is there anything anyone can tell me, please?

Thank you for looking. :)

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. i need help

Thank you SIS, that’s probably it! I’m very bad with dating the heads too! Thank you so much. I will post the remaining spoons once I receive them.

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm not so good at it either. Hopefully someone else will have a look:)

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Interesting. A couple things that would help place the maker are missing - date letter and the leopard head. Maybe when the spoons arrive it will be easier to tell. From this distance I'm guesstimating Geo III.

6. Bakersgma

7. i need help

:) I will post photos when I receive them. I’m being impatient again. :D

8. i need help

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm not so sure I enhanced anything....the figure does look like he has a cap of some sort on, but am assuming you saw that....surprised my secondary program didn't do a better job!!!

00D436E2-FD04-46FE-8E54-63313A27807E-gigapixel-scale-2x.jpg

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Any chance maker is OK or OH?

11. Bakersgma

According to both sites referenced above, there are no makers that start with O in Newcastle.

12. Bakersgma

The site I use will only give earliest and latest dates for a maker that have been "seen."

13. Aquitaine

This might have turned out better of the image of the person....INVERTED..... and to me (IMHO) the CR looks right, BWDIK!!!;)

00D436E2-FD04-46FE-XX.jpg

scoutshouse, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  14. i need help

That makes sense. So a maker can register their mark and not produce items immediately. So they use items they can date, not the mark register date, if I follow the logic.

15. Aquitaine

16. Bakersgma

They don't ONLY use the register date. Plus as you see on the right side of the page, they list the kinds of items on which the mark has been seen. Some of the lists of items are long, some are short.

17. Bakersgma

Because the assay was done in Newcastle and he was not registered there?

18. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

On the site Bakersgma refers to, Phil only shows marks that he has actually 'seen' and the dates of those marks - it is a great reference, but should be aware of the way it's set up, and that it's not comprehensive...

It will be George III, the missing date letter points to dating from the late 18th century into a bit before the end of George III's reign in 1820 - believe they were omitted on small pieces to thwart duty-dodgers (was also done in London). Also believe the maker is most likely Christian Ker Reid, and the link below, to Graham Hodges' sugar tongs site, only shows the clipped rectangle cartouche on the tongs he dates latest, as does the dating on Phil's maker's mark site.

Some information on Reid: http://www.silversugartongs.com/Newcastle/CR - Christian ker Reid I/Christian ker Reid I.htm

~Cheryl

judy, patd8643, Figtree3 and 5 others like this.
  19. i need help

Thank you for the additional information, Cheryl. :)
    I just seem to be attracted to buying things I can’t figure out from the photos so I can learn. The design on the tongs looks a bit similar, too. But maybe that’s just what was in fashion at the time. Looking forward to learn about the other 2 when I can get better photos. It is odd they are different makers.

20. i need help

AB43489B-1DAA-43A6-9802-719AAD9E564B.jpeg This is the 3 (the middle one looks a bit chewed up) :p

Draft saved Draft deleted