Eric Linnell (NYC) Original Oil Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jamo, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Jamo

Jamo Active Member

Hi all,

Came across this recently. Known best for his floral bouquet paintings. From writing on back, given as gift in 1962. Thoughts on value? Or anyone know anything else about the artist? Seems his work is relatively hard to come by. Did see one maritime themed painting during the search. Thanks in advance!

Christmasjoy and Pat P like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hi Jamo! You seem to have your Gallery pictures Album set to Private, so no one but you can see them. Switch it to Public and your picture will show right in your post.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Jamo

Jamo Active Member

Should be good now! Thanks for the heads up!

4. Bakersgma

Yup! It's there. But I do have a suggestion. Do you have a picture showing the painting straight on instead of lying down?

How large is it?

5. Jamo

Jamo Active Member

6. Bakersgma

I noticed in searching that most of the Linnell signed florals are miniatures and some of those are attributed not to Eric but to his brother Frank. Yet virtually all of them are signed the same way, including the signature on yours. Did you run across this too?

7. Jamo

Jamo Active Member

You know, I think I saw that or noticed it originally between all of the Eric, Frank, and John images. But then my mind got fixed on the fact that it looked like a dead ringer for Eric’s, so assumed whether right or wrong it was him. Also, I am might have assumed Eric bc I found this on the curb on garbage day and left behind 2 floral boutique oil miniatures! I dabble with antique furniture and don’t play the art game usually.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Well, I personally like this one a lot better than any of the florals. ;)

9. Bakersgma

Was the note on the back just 2 random people? Any resemblance between the handwriting and the signature?

10. Jamo

Jamo Active Member

Thank you! Actually that is the only reason I grabbed this is I liked it and didn’t care for the floral ones. The back says original oil painting with a penciled “200”, has an old area store here stamp on the back and a written message that it was a gift from Reverend so and so 1963.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Jamo

Jamo Active Member

I will post a pic if I can. No, it’s in cursive. It was on the curb in a very affluent part of the city I am in, in upstate NY. My guess is the owner’s note to him or herself with who they received it from.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Jamo

Jamo Active Member

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  13. Jamo

Jamo Active Member

14. Bakersgma

The back does look like its been around a while and given what you said about the note, it doesn't matter.

I'm concerned that there are so many listings that describe him as "a noted artist" but I can't find anything that indicates that he was "listed" anywhere. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

And by the way - "John Linnell" was a British landscape painter in the 1800's.

Without any back up on Eric's "other works" or even a bio, I think you'd be hard pressed to expect a big price.

15. Jamo

Jamo Active Member

Yes, John demands big prices. I don’t expect one, just curious of an approximate #. And, I agree, I find things like he was “prolific”, etc yet can’t find anything else about him, which I found odd.

16. Jamo

Jamo Active Member

17. Bakersgma

While you were going to the Moma site, I went to Ancestry to see what I could find there.

Eric Gotthard Linnell was born in 1903 in Sweden. Emigrated to the US in 1925. In 1930 he was living in Chicago, working as "a retail artist" in a jewelry store. In 1934 he married Maria (an American born in Illinois) in NYC. In 1937 he and Maria traveled to Sweden and his occupation was listed as decorator. In 1940, still living in NYC he and Maria both listed their occupations as Artist. He died in update NY in 1994.

18. Jamo

Jamo Active Member

Thank you! Very cool. I had seen that he lived 1903-94 in my research. I love the history of this stuff more than the stuff itself!

19. Bakersgma

Well, I had seen dates of that sort too, but wanted to see what evidence there was for his work as an artist.

20. Jamo

Jamo Active Member

Thanks again for the help

Draft saved Draft deleted