Eskimo Label Inuit Carved Soapstone Snow Goose Figurine

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by moreotherstuff, Nov 7, 2018.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I bought this mostly for information. It’s badly damaged (beak busted off and a couple of other chips). Stands nearly 5” high. My guess is it’s a snow goose.

I remembered some threads about Inuit figures with paper labels and only vague answers on who or when. Well… this one is quite clearly signed and its origin clearly stated. Question is: does anyone know the carver, and does that narrow down the date line?

But then again, this label is different from those other labels, so maybe it's moot.

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/anyone-able-to-i-d-this-inuit-carver.29730/

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/canada-black-seal-figure-inuit-or-soapstone.29779/#post-393909

Eskimo Label Inuit Carved Soapstone Snow Goose Figurine Figure -b.jpg

Eskimo Label Inuit Carved Soapstone Snow Goose Figurine Figure -e.jpg

Eskimo Label Inuit Carved Soapstone Snow Goose Figurine Figure -j.jpg

Eskimo Label Inuit Carved Soapstone Snow Goose Figurine Figure -k.jpg

And I may as well ask: does the damage destroy any value?
    Eskimo Label Inuit Carved Soapstone Snow Goose Figurine Figure -m.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Just an observation - but it seems rather odd for the label to be placed on the side of the bird. It is an important piece of authentication, and so not something a buyer would want to remove. The labels I have seen on other Inuit pieces are usually placed in a more discrete location. Maybe just not enough room on his feet.
    And yes, the damage seriously affects the value.

judy likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Yeah, but is it just a rock?

The balance on this is tenuous. The damage probably happened when someone on the far side of the room sneezed and it fell over.

smcrae, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I recently passed up an Inuit stone carving at my local thrift store because it had a few chips. (It wasn't a particularly interesting carving, either.) I think the same considerations of quality and condition apply to Inuit work as any other art. The poor balance would be another count against it. Sorry.

judy likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Arctic Bay, in in today's territory of Nunavut
    Yes it's an inuit community....so the tag of Eskimo...( still known in the USA..) is an older one.

While it may be possible to repair..( reshape ) the head....in it's current condition...it's a curio shelf sitter at maybe $10....

@Mark London

Figtree3, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I looked up Arctic Bay. It was incorporated as a hamlet in 1976, but has been an Inuit site for millennia. I guess a question would be: how long has it been called Arctic Bay (incorporated or otherwise)?

judy likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

No need to be sorry. I had no delusions when I bought it. I bought it for the label and signature in the hope that the one might help to date the other.

judy and 2manybooks like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Things can get damaged to the point where the best you can say is that someone worked on it. If the thing is a 50,000 year old pebble, that might make a difference, but for modern stuff, you reach a point where that doesn't matter... it's just junk.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I agree.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

E5-907 .. Lazaroosee Akpaliapik , born 1921.....stone carver .. biography 1989.

Mark will know more...

The bird...is simple and elegant.....& while today's carvings are large and artistic....yesteryear's carvings were smaller & more delicate.....

I do not consider this junk....

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Bet they didn't get an Inuit to design the label.

judy and i need help like this.
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Great work on the ID.

judy and i need help like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I like it, and would have bought it, never mind the damage. Something can be done about that. Not a carving to be sneezed at, imo.

You could regard it as a transformation piece, morphing from goose to seal?

judy, moreotherstuff and 2manybooks like this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Or from goose to dinosaur.

The extremely rare "Nose-smashed-in Snow Goose".

16. Any Jewelry

Frostbite Snow Goose?

17. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

That movie had me crying. Mind you, I was a teen back then.

AuDragon likes this.
  19. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

It is a lovely piece that likely dates to the early 1970’s. Unfortunately, the cost of a decent repair exceeds the value of the sculpture. A cheap workaround would be to amputate the beak area and graft on a piece of ivory or antler and then recarve. The label is genuine and I can’t tell you how many times I have had to do battle with inconveniently placed labels.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry, cxgirl and 5 others like this.
  20. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That's a great idea for a repair, but beyond me. Maybe someone else would try it. Lets find out!

Draft saved Draft deleted