Featured Eskimo or Inuit? loom(?) carved with fish figures

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, May 26, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me what I found at the thrift store today?It's carved? from wood with fish figures & mother of pearl or abalone for decoration.
    The fish make me think it may be by Eskimo/Inuit? And it reminds me of a couple of antique loom pieces I've had for a while?
    Any help would be appreciated - did I hit a home run today?!!
    Thanks

COLLECTIBLE ESKIMO CARVING  LOOM MAYBE 1A_A_AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ESKIMO CARVING  LOOM MAYBE 1A_AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ESKIMO CARVING  LOOM MAYBE 1A_A_AAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ESKIMO CARVING  LOOM MAYBE 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ESKIMO CARVING  LOOM MAYBE 3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ESKIMO CARVING  LOOM MAYBE 5AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ESKIMO CARVING  LOOM MAYBE 6AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ESKIMO CARVING  LOOM MAYBE 6AAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ESKIMO CARVING  LOOM MAYBE 7AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE ESKIMO CARVING  LOOM MAYBE 7AAA.JPG

2. journeymagazine

Is it anything like these?

COLLECTIBLE ESKIMO CARVING  LOOM MAYBE 9AA.JPG

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Not a loom shuttle.
    The wood looks like a tropical species. And it looks like one of the creatures depicted is a stingray - common in tropical waters.
    Can you provide dimensions? How deep is the slot on the top - a shallow carving or deep enough to be a container for something?
    I think @say_it_slowly is on to something with Solomon Islands. Perhaps it is a replica of a slit drum, made for tourists.

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Looks like a Ray is depicted, maybe points to somewhere?

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Do Eskimo/Inuit carvers typically use wood, I thought there isn't much wood that far north? I would think stone and bone would be more likely but WDIK!

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The wood looks like ebony and I'm guessing the slot is just there to hold a missing decorative piece, so this is basically the stand or bottom bit of something.

This is not a drum.

komokwa and scoutshouse like this.
  9. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

In brief: not typically; but sometimes; and there are artists there who might use wood for some purposes. However, this does not appear to be Eskimo/Inuit.

komokwa and scoutshouse like this.
  10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

11. journeymagazine

OK the piece measures 13" long total, slot is 11" long x 1/2" wide x 3/4" deep (and it does not go all the way through!)

scoutshouse likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Maybe decorative, to hold a picture frame???? Does it rock at all or is it a flat, solid, level bottom?? Otherwise some sort of picture frame idea wouldn't hold up.........

13. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

just a WAG - Could it be a holder for an ulu blade? the sea life depicted could represent the type of seafood to be prepared using the knife?

lovewrens likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's not a flying shuttle, or inuit, ...it is a Solomon island carving.

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Another OK for Solomon Island carving.:)

komokwa and say_it_slowly like this.
  16. journeymagazine

komokwa, any idea what it was used for?

17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

To sell to tourists.;) It is a very nice souvenir, and could be a miniature take on a slit drum, like some of the others said.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have to go with SIS, & AJ........ slit drum form, sold as a tourist keepsake ...

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted