Featured Estate Bakelite bracelet and necklace (went back on half price day)

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

So here are the two pieces I asked about. A bit of an update. I was the first person in the door for jewelry on half price day, so quickly got these two plus some other 1/2 price jewelry items (to be shown later). Since I had looked carefully at the bracelet the day before, didn't really check it too carefully --figured for $10 could not go wrong. Decided to get the matching necklace, now at $22.50, down from $45. Everything was pretty quick paced as more and more people were coming in the door.

Well, once home was examining the bracelet, apparently between the time I was at the sale on Friday and the purchase Saturday morning, someone had broken the mechanism! They must have been confused how to get the piece on or something, but a tiny piece of plastic is now chipped by the clasp and it doesn't close. :grumpy: Well, I'm not totally crushed... it still is an unusual piece, and maybe the necklace is the big winner anyway. I went back for the bracelet but wound up getting that plus some very cool enamel pieces too so pretty sure I am going to make money on this lot.

You can see the interesting mechanism in the bracelet. These may have been a set (??) or at least I think from the same maker. Note that the main "panel" (...anyone have a better word here?) on the necklace has metal rods in it as well. Although I think they just function to hold the two pieces together --the necklace does not open like the bracelet.

Also did the simichrome test and both pass w/flying colors. Curious if anyone has a name for this color, general observations, country of origin? dating? Seems kind of "Josephine Baker" era maybe. Thanks!

ba1.jpg b4b.jpg b2.jpg b3.jpg ba2.jpg ba2b.jpg ba2c.jpg ba4.jpg ba5.jpg b99.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

wow, great score Lucille!! Could be apple juice & and the solid pieces butterscotch

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Birdy Num Num !!! :happy:
    I see why you went back !!!

4. komokwa

could there be some amber color in there ?

5. Lucille.b

Thanks, Cx. I wasn't sure if apple juice was known to have striations like this -- maybe yes though. It is funny that one panel is almost "butterscotch". I can't think of anything else. You can see why I thought it might be celluloid, but the simichrome had a quick positive on both.

The necklace is very wearable at 21 inches. It is kind of cool how it is angled as you can see when laying flat. Not sure if I should sell these as a set or separately. Well, if separate I can always refer buyers to the other piece in the description.

Was just scanning completed auctions on Ebay. Bakelite is way down from former years with a few exceptions, but hopefully money to be made on this set.

(Yes, K. you can see why I went back. Got other pieces, too. Maybe better. :))

Comments still welcome. I've never had a bakelite piece with these rods before.

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

7. komokwa

I've seen then called butterscotch swirl...

8. Lucille.b

"Swirl" is a good word. Usually butterscotch is for the non-translucent, but there is one panel on the necklace like that. I've seen "ice tea", no idea which to use. I'll probably put all of the above in the description and just take super good photos.

Kind of funny people have gone nuts over this old plastic with special names for the colors etc.

Any Jewelry, komokwa and cxgirl like this.
  9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

All I can say is that come September I hope that birthday fairy is fluttering around my shoulder. :p:p:D:D:D:D

Great score on both these pieces & the wonderful 5-strand necklace & earring set!!! :happy::happy::happy::happy:

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Would cinnamon or red hot be the spacers? It all sounds Delicious!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

It is hard to decide but your photos are excellent for showing the colours, folks will know what colour they are:)

i need help likes this.
  12. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Both are gorgeous!

I haven't read the others' responses yet as I only have less than a minute to post something before I go pick up my dad from the rehab hospital, but google bakelite charts and there's some good color charts out there that might give you a good idea what to call them. (Who knew there were charts out there? All these years I've been guessing the colors of the bakelite I find..and I shoulda known that it could be found on the web!)

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Again, beautiful score!

13. Lucille.b

This is a great idea, Tie Dye, and best of luck with your Dad. Hope he is doing better. Sending positive thoughts. :)

On the topic of Bakelite color charts, went looking and stumbled on a site that to my eye was quite interesting. General Bakelite overview, but had photos of (boatloads of!) new Chinese Bakelite. Ack! Important for us jewelry buyers to see this warning. Perhaps why some Bakelite prices are dropping.

I have no hesitation that my pieces are older, but was an education to view those photos.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/gale/

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd call it amber swirl bakelite if the Ebay fairies allow it, since that's what it is. The bracelet is a stepped design clamper. I think you've got a winner there!

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Someone remembers Peter Sellers in The Party.

17. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

FWIW, I would sell them together noting the bracelet damage and let the buyer repair if it can be repaired.
    Patd

Bronwen, i need help and judy like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A movie that still has me in stitches:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bronwen, Lucille.b, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  19. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Stunning jewelry. Very nice.

Bronwen, Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  20. komokwa

That's a riot !!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    I don't remember the movie......but while playing golf with my buds earlier this spring I shot a Birdie 4 on a wicked par 5....and shouted Birdie Num Num !!!
    I thought I made that up !!
    Too funny !!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted