ESTATE SALE FIND - WHAT IS THIS??!! RESCUE BASKET? WAY TO KEEP YOUR CATCH ALIVE WHILE FISHING?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, May 30, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a estate sale I went to today - they were using it as garden art. When I asked they also had no idea what it was, but for $20 I grabbed it!

My first thought was a child rescue cage (that a helicopter would use in mountain or water rescues) and right behind that I thought maybe it was something you'd put in the river or lake or whatever body of water you were fishing in & whenever you caught something you could drop it in it so it could breathe and swim around - and basically keep it alive longer so it was fresher when you were ready to cook it or leave?
    I wouldn't be surprised if both are wrong! Any ideas?
    PS - it measures 35"Long x 19"Wide x 16"High (at base which is largest areas)
    Thank you!

COLLECTIBLE CAGE FISHING CONTAINER 1AAZZ.jpg COLLECTIBLE CAGE FISHING CONTAINER 2AAZZ.jpg COLLECTIBLE CAGE FISHING CONTAINER 3AAZZZ.jpg COLLECTIBLE CAGE FISHING CONTAINER 4AAZZZZ.jpg COLLECTIBLE CAGE FISHING CONTAINER 4ABBAZZVX.jpg

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I'd love it for flowers!

3. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

That's really cool!!!

Lucille.b, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with fishing.

Perhaps an over-size flower gathering basket missing its handles?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Great looking basket! I thought maybe for crabbing but don't know. It would be great for so many things!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Oyster/Clam basket???????? Needs some handles

[​IMG]

Aquitaine and bercrystal like this.
  7. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Better be a body builder to pick that up if it is full of oysters or clams. :D

8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

LOL!!!!!!!!!

9. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

What a cool shape! To me it looks like it was a basket with a specific purpose. Certainly for collecting or storing something...but what?
    Leslie

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Hey, how come the Clam basket looks just like a potato basket?????? A tisket a tasket ..............

[​IMG]

11. journeymagazine

lol!

12. journeymagazine

Hi all - hope it's ok, I'm putting this to the top again hoping someone will see it for first time & be able to tell me what it is so I can list it for sale.
    Thanks again for all the suggestions (I think this is a first where no one here knew absolutely what is was!)

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It's just such a lovely basket, charming shape and fantastic size. I don't know what it was made for, assuming there was a specific purpose. I'm just throwing this out in case it stirs someone's memory.

Could it be an industrial covering for something, a light or fan blade or something?

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It's really too big to carry anything heavy and it's too open for small items. It could just be a decorative item and not meant for any special purpose.

15. journeymagazine

What should I call it in a title for eBay or Craigslist or FB marketplace?

16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Useful to keep the logs beside the mantle!:)

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I thought that, but it would leave a holy mess on the floor , and be dangerous should a spark fly up and find it..:jawdrop:

18. komokwa

I also surmised about the fish.....but they could jump out of it, if it were in any depth of water...

19. Dennny

Dennny New Member

Very cool!!! Great find

20. komokwa

do u no what it is ?

Draft saved Draft deleted