Featured Etched Dragon Brooch - Bakelite? Tortoise?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Jan 14, 2024.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Hi all, back again!

I'm looking at this brooch, it's so interesting. However it's in the middle of a small lot of broken bits and things that'll just take up room, so I thought I'd get this to you guys and see what the consensus is.

I messaged the seller for the back, and it's got a T hinge but on those kind that you glue/stick on. Can you judge the quality based on this? I need to learn more about those types of backs cause I see them a lot. I've just noticed they've screwed in this one.

Also what's the material and date? Looks like plastic, but that other brooch I have that looks like this is possibly tortoiseshell (haven't tested it yet).
    With the design I was hoping late 19th, although that's an old Chinese design? Is this then early 20th?
    IMG_20240114_114421.jpg Screenshot_2024-01-14-11-31-53-719_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Thanks all!​

KSW, reader, Sedona and 5 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is piqué work, tiny pieces of gold and silver inlaid in tortoiseshell.
    It is a beauty, but tortoiseshell is a problem nowadays.
    I think it is indeed late 19th. Probably French.

KSW, aaroncab, Sedona and 5 others like this.
  3. RachelW

Exactly what I wanted to hear. This would be a collection piece so if I can just get it in my hot little hands it won't stray too far afterwards. You continue to make my day better and better AJ! :kiss:

KSW, reader, Potteryplease and 3 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Definitely perfect for a collection.:happy:
    :shy::happy::kiss:

KSW, reader, Potteryplease and 4 others like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

What she ^^^ said.

One clue to older is that screw in fixing, it takes more work too, so quality.

KSW, reader, johnnycb09 and 4 others like this.
  6. RachelW

Excellent! Good note OBB, I'll squirrel that away somewhere in my brain for future use. The seller agreed to 15 for the lot, but to me the rest of it is free. :greedy::D

KSW, reader, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

:woot::woot::happy:

KSW, reader, johnnycb09 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Blimey. Bargain.

KSW, reader, johnnycb09 and 1 other person like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice find.......your eye for quality is maturing !!!!;)

I'll bet yer dying to wear it too !!!!:playful:

reader, RachelW and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. RachelW

Thank you!

I already know where to! I'm going to a folk rock concert at a medieval fort's festival, last time I went to see this band I wore one of those 70s peasant dresses with a yellow shawl pinned with a brooch around the waist. The brooch will change this time around ;)

The theatre is inside this: Carcassonne.
    Carcassonne-Mise-en-avant.jpg

KSW, reader, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Oh, I adore Carcassonne. You need to read Kate Mosse, if you’ve not already.

KSW and RachelW like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If the brooch is going through Customs, make sure it's in a bag with everything else and if they ask it's made of shell. Keeps sticky confiscating fingers away.

KSW, reader and RachelW like this.
  13. RachelW

All good, no customs for this one. But that is something I hadn't thought of, I'll make a note of that!

KSW and reader like this.
  14. RachelW

I've been several times and it rained on most of them haha. I don't think I have read that, I'll look it up.

KSW likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

She's written some wonderful historical fiction set in and around there. Properly researched and very well written: I especially like her use of the almost Catalan language used locally.

https://www.katemosse.co.uk/about/

KSW likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

I love Carcassonne, visited it a lot way back when.
    Are you sure? Jewellery in the waist area needs to be sturdy, and I would be scared to knock into something and lose some of the inlay.:nailbiting:
    But then I am notoriously clumsy.:shame:

If you're going for a romantic 70s look, a long scarf in your hair with the brooch pinned to the side would also look very nice.:)

Have fun at the concert!:happy:

KSW, RachelW and komokwa like this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't wear this at the waist either. Forget me being clumsy; it's the idiots who have escaped their villages and gone wandering that I'd worry about. Also the PITA's from PETA. (they're the Yahoos who used to throw red paint at fur coats, sometimes even fake fur.)

KSW, Any Jewelry and RachelW like this.
  18. RachelW

Hmm yes it might be a bit delicate, I don't want to tug it! I'm not particularly clumsy, but I'd rather pay attention to whats going on then on making sure it doesn't get smashed....

KSW, Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  19. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Oooh yeah I save the more delicate and favored pieces for nice events where people move slowly and it isn't as crowded. Gives me excuses to pick up cheap, fun costume pieces for more rowdy venues!

KSW likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

I also wear cheaper costume pieces on holidays. When I said that in another thread, someone said that I was a typical snobbish European, and all Europeans were snobs.:rolleyes::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

KSW, Ownedbybear and mirana like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted