Featured Etching Matthäus Merian King Charles II and Catherine de Braganza

Discussion in 'Art' started by Nick72, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Probably went wild on this one, spent 200 Euros for etching and Frame but did not want to pass this.
    Attibuted to Matthaus Merian, etching from 1670 representing in two scenes the arrival of Catherine of Braganza in Portsmouth from Portugal and the lower part representing the married couple arriving at Whitehall in one of the largest if not the largest procession and fleet ever recorded in the rivers history.
    The frame is old, but not experienced enough to tell if it is period, maybe later ( 19th century) any help on the frame would be appreciated.
    Aware the etching had been folded before being put into the frame as the pictures show.
    Not sure how to go about this, scared to remove the backing...should I to inspect the etching properly....?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Dont think it's from 1670. Would expect more aging if it was from that time period.

Christmasjoy and dude like this.
  3. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Hello rink28,thanks for chiming in, when you say you expect more ageing you mean on the frame or the etching itself?

Ghopper1924, Christmasjoy and dude like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The control and detail are wonderful. Really captures the pageantry.

I don't know about the frame, but I don't think the notion of matting goes back that far. Could be wrong.

5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

It's a nice Etching for sure. I meant the Etching. I could be wrong though . Maybe it was kept secure for awhile.

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

17th century handmade rag paper can age very well - it is not inherently acidic like later wood pulp paper. You might be able to get a better idea of the date of the print if you can examine the paper closely. Early handmade paper should show laid and chain lines left from the papermaker's mold, and possibly a watermark that would identify the mill. There appears to be some staining around the edges, which might indicate it has been glued to a backing at some point.

Based on this example, which is in better condition, I fear you paid a bit much:
    https://www.sandersofoxford.com/sho...tehall-along-the-river-thames-23-august-1662/

No reason to think the frame is contemporary with the print. Views of the back of the frame, showing the construction and any labels or notations, would be helpful in estimating a date.

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Of course it's real! Dutch, and very nice indeed.

It's just a little bit rough. Frame is nothing.

Ghopper1924, judy, dude and 2 others like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree re frame. Not terribly old. And does etching no favors.

Debora

9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

10. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Mhhh, Maybe Fid, cannot find the dimensions of the book you linked me to,the link 2anybooks added before you mentions this for the etching which seems in line with the dimensions of the paper in the frame ( won't be sure untill i Unframe)

Method Etching
    Artist Matthäus Merian after Dirk Stoop
    Published [c. 1670]
    Dimensions Image 308 x 391 mm, Plate 316 x 398 mm, Sheet 340 x 432 mm

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and dude like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Nick.
    The original was by Dirck Stoop, who was Dutch. He worked in both Portugal and England, hence the subject. The etching is by Matthäus Merian, who was Swiss.:)

judy, Christmasjoy, patd8643 and 2 others like this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

13. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Jezzz Fid, great link,24 editions of this book. I can back out of the purchase...too complicated so i think i will do just that:wacky::wacky::wacky:

judy, Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

and that's not all. the Royal Naval Museum (??) in England has one example AND a shop...

15. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Went today to check it out, paper was period and the pics did not do it justice, its not as roughed up as the pics make it look but after looking closely, the etching was indeed glued to the backing , that made me back out...too bad she was real nice:sorry:

16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Once out of the book and framed, I think glued to a support was common enough practice. I think there are a lot of Durer and Rembrandt prints glued to supports, and frequently trimmed right to the border of the image.

17. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Yes but i think it would affect the value quite a bit so backed out, price was fixed @ 200Euros...sometimes better to back out.
    Could not take it out of the frame also if i did not buy so impossible to assess properly.

Any Jewelry, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

sometimes we have to back out against our hunting instinct.

19. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Indeed Fid....thanks for all the advice, ;)

Fid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted