Featured Ever see pieces like your finds in movies or on TV?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Tiquer, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

I haven't seen my antiques in movies just yet, but I love saying I HAVE THAT!!! when my Collectibles pop up on shows or in movies.

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

was watching Downton Abbey at Christmas and noticed the fireplace screen, the embroidered design is similar to mine:)
    Recents - 1 of 1.jpeg
    Imports - 1 of 1.jpeg

4. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

I'm not understanding that link, there's no pic :(

5. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

6. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Scroll to the start of that thread, and you will see the pic and the story :)

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

I totally missed it, sorry :(

Marote likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'll repost anyhow:
    Watching a movie called "Hail Caesar" I was taken aback by this scene:
    00000a.JPG

It's that thing over the fireplace. I sold the same thing on eBay about 20 years ago.
    00000aaaa.jpg

I think my sister bought the fabric at a textile store back in the '60s. She made it up like a banner and it hung in my parent's rec room for years.

9. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Weird and funny movie...Ah, it's a Coen Brothers movie.. Quelle surprise....:D

kyratango and charlie cheswick like this.
  10. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I just watch when characters wear cameos whether they're period correct or not. Mostly not.

bluumz, Any Jewelry, mirana and 8 others like this.
  12. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I pay close attention to landscapes in movies. For ex, I hated it in that movie 'Brokeback Mountain', which is so importantly set in Wyoming, when they showed gigantic mountains, mountains like nothing in Wyoming.

My wife told me to be quiet, that I was crazy. But sure enough, in the credits-- 'filmed on location in Alberta and British Columbia'. I knew it!

Tiquer, kentworld, Marote and 9 others like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Have had something of the reverse happen. My eye was caught by the jewellery Annette Bening wore in The Grifters. Some time later, at a crafts show, saw a booth I didn't remember from previous shows that had jewellery that looked familiar. Yep, jeweller lent some pieces to film. Said the bracelet came back bent with what looked like blood on it.

kentworld, Marote, NewEngland and 4 others like this.
  14. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I sold an old cassette tape recorder/player a few years ago on eBay and saw that a movie production company bought it. The studio where I sent it to was where they were filming the White House Plumbers series about the Watergate scandal. Never watched it to see if my little recorder ever made it on set.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Murdock Mysteries..has pieces I own....and pieces I see here and a boat load of stuff...I'd love to have....

His house was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright ...in the show.......
    Stickly...arts and crafts.....stained glass.......it's a treat for the eyes....
    if u like that stuff...

[​IMG]

lovewrens, Tiquer, kentworld and 9 others like this.
  16. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

... and if you don't like that stuff.... what's the matter with you?!?

17. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

"Ever see pieces like your finds in movies or on TV?"

Yes! Because I put them there from my own collection. :D

A couple of shows ago, when they needed something niche in a hurry I said yet again "oh I've got that!" My bosses response: "....of COURSE you do." :cyclops::hilarious::hilarious:

You can make good money renting to productions, but you have to make sure you have contract fees for loss or damage. Productions are rough with things.

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've rented wall plaques, masks and a totem pole....

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I argued with friends over the movie "Silver Streak" (1976). The train leaves L.A. at the beginning of the movie and arrives in Chicago at the end, but I saw that movie, and recognized that it left Toronto, and arrived back in Toronto. At the end of the movie, the train demolishes a station in Chicago, but it's clearly modeled on Union Station in Toronto. I pointed that out to my friends and they adamantly refused to believe it. Significant portions of the movie were indeed filmed in Toronto.

20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have sold jewellery to film/TV companies, also a hand carved Spanish peineta. And I often see pieces similar or the same as ones I own, not just in movies or TV series, but also in documentaries (ethnic stuff).
    Period jewellery is rarely correct in period/costume movies etc. Same with costumes and hairstyles.
    Fans are even worse.:facepalm::arghh:

Draft saved Draft deleted