Featured Expertise Needed

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dana1048, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

I am new to this site. Everyone has been so helpful and kind, I want to thank you all! I have acquired several cameos and have no knowledge about them. I have been buried in research for 4 days. There are a few that I have not been able to find or have found little helpful information. I'm asking anyone who may be able to provide any knowledge, I would be grateful. This cameo I believe may be Egyptian? Cleopatra? It is Gold Plated, silver under plate. I had it tested by a gold and silver expert. He said it was silver. It appears to have 900 with the last 0 worn and very difficult to see. I did discover that 900 silver was the most common in Egypt. Also on the straight pin faster it appears to have 3 symbols. Artist Mark?
    Any help would be so appreciated. 20181106_142118.jpg 20181106_142531.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Very Pretty! I’m sure someone who knows about it will be along.

Dana1048, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice and great photo. I can't help, wait for the experts.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

@Bronwen ...gets the call !!!!
    Have u seen her Cameo thread......it's 56 miles long !!! :D:D

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hello again, Dana. She is cut in helmet shell & does not depict anyone in particular. although it is quite likely she was influenced by this earlier Czech design, which has a touch of the exotic to it:

upload_2018-11-6_15-19-20.png

Your piece I would put to the 1950s - early 60s. It was probably set as well as cut in Italy, where 800 silver used to be used commonly. I do not see Egyptian marks on the pin stem; are you sure it is not 800, incomplete at the edges because of the cramped space? Egyptian brooches do often have 3 itty bitty marks on the pin stem, but they are in characteristic square cartouches, & I have never seen a modern shell cameo in an Egyptian brooch.

6. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

Thank You Bronwen for responding. The marks on the Pin stem appear to look kind of like a comma, a squiggly X, and a square like symbol with a dot. Kind of looks like hieroglyphics. I did talk online to a lady in Egypt regarding silver. She told me that 900 was the most common silver in Egypt. I don't know if that is correct, but she told me that.

7. Bronwen

8. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

9. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

I'm sorry... I'm new. Wasn't sure if I were posting the right way. I figured someone would tell me if I wasn't

judy likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely, Dana, and great photos.
    900 was and is also used in many other countries, including Italy. Here is a list:
    https://www.925-1000.com/a_Standards.html

I am with Bronwen on the likelihood of Italy 1950s-60s. That is also a period when those silver brooch-pendant combos were popular. But it always helps if you include a photo of the marks, which can be tricky to photograph if they are small.
    You did fine, the cameo thread isn't mandatory. There is always someone who will tag @Bronwen .:)

komokwa, Bronwen, i need help and 2 others like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

komokwa, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  13. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

Hi Bronwen! Would you mind taking a look at this and give me your opinion. I borrowed a much better loop from a jeweler friend and was able to see the mark on the stem much better. I drew it as best as I could. I might not be perfect, but hoping maybe you might know what it is. Thank You so much for all your help!

judy and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

Wish I could tell you what the marks are, but really do not look Egyptian, even partials stamped on a tiny rounded surface like a pin stem. This is a bracelet from 1933/34, made with 800 silver. If the marks had been on the pin of a brooch, you would still see little uprights between them, even if not a complete box:

upload_2018-11-7_21-7-50.png

Sorry. Maybe someone else will have an idea. Are they spaced well apart as you drew them?

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  15. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

No, they are very close together.
    Thank You so much!!!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Partial marks on the pin of an Egyptian brooch could be even harder too recognize than the ones Bronwen posted, like on these filigree bracelet panels, all parts of the Cairo .800 mark:
    upload_2018-11-8_10-47-41.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-8_10-47-58.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-8_10-48-15.jpeg

judy, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  17. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

received_1887617918011769.jpeg received_1887617918011769.jpeg received_1887617918011769.jpeg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

received_1887617918011769.jpeg

i need help likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Great pics, Dana, thank you.
    Not Egyptian. Maybe a maker's mark. I'll see if I can connect it with an assay mark.

judy and i need help like this.
  20. Dana1048

Dana1048 Member

Thank You.. Thank You.. Thank You...I been 3 days trying to loop these symbols and draw them best I could see and just now realized that my niece had a magnifier photo on her Iphone. Lol... I'm such a ditz

judy, Bronwen, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted