Extremely Old Western Cedar Hide Covered Child's Toy Drum - American Indian?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Gary Knudtzon, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Gary Knudtzon

Gary Knudtzon Member

IMGDRUM1.JPG IMGDRUM2.JPG IMGDRUM3.JPG IMGDRUM4.JPG IMGDRUM5.JPG IMGDRUM6.JPG IMGDRUM7.JPG Would Love to know Anything about this very old I am sure 19th Century Western Cedar Wood Child's Toy Drum. I was told by some Wood Experts that it is made of Western Cedar they thought Red Cedar. It is very light so it is in the Soft Wood Catagory. It is Painted with what I think is some kind of Berry Juice for it is a very thin coating which has turned black in color. Hide covers are very stiff and dark with age and still has some of its fur attached. The Hide is attached to the Drum by wood Pegs. The design is Cut into the sides and are very Geometric. Lots of wear all over and it measures 7.2 Inches High and is 5.5 Inches wide. No other Identification on it except the Cut Designs which I was Hoping could Help in Identifying the Tribe. Thank You for your Help! Gary k

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

without clear photo's we can't be of any help.
    we live & die by photo's here....& while you give good description.....
    it's just not enuf to offer an opinion..:(:(:(

i need help likes this.
  4. Gary Knudtzon

Gary Knudtzon Member

Hope these Photos are good Enough! I accidently Posted the Message before Loading the Pic's! Gary K

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Drum is from Soweto, Man!

I had one of these mailed to me in the 1960's full of the best weed ever and sent by an old girlfriend. Still have the drum, weed is long gone!

smallaxe, reader, NewEngland and 5 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, it looks like a Zulu or related South African drum. So unlikely to be Western Cedar, which is a North American tree. I have yet to see a traditional Native American drum with tufts of hair still attached, btw. But a nice drum.
    @2manybooks ?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  7. Any Jewelry

Where?:angelic::cool:

lloyd249, reader, NewEngland and 2 others like this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

That was a very long time ago, however I remember it pouring onto the postman's feet as he handed it to me on the porch ...ah, the innocent days ...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

As AJ noted, not usual to see a Native American drum head made of cowhide with hair still in place. Method of attachment is more typical of Africa, as well.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Oh and BTW, these drums were sold as tourist items and aren't 19thc. The skin is cowhide and mine had black and white hair until it got drummed off as the years went by. Mine is carved with a face on either side.

11. Any Jewelry

:oops::hilarious:

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

told by some Wood Experts that it is made of Western Cedar they thought Red Cedar.

Thuja plicata...... it is not !
    Those experts should give back their credentials...
    upload_2020-2-29_14-3-16.jpeg upload_2020-2-29_14-6-51.jpeg

all_fakes, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Red cedar grows in my backyard and I've built classic boats out of it, split shakes for my roof with it etc. Very familiar with it!

Love experts!

all_fakes and Figtree3 like this.
  14. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

he's not as think as you stoned he is ...

Draft saved Draft deleted