'faience patriotique': french revolution faience plates.. Any info?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J&J Green, Feb 22, 2015.

1. J&J Green

J&J Green New Member

Hello
    We have a few plates which we believe are French Revolution faience plates. I have attached photos of a couple of them. Grateful for any info please?
    Thanks
    Jon
    DSCN0175.JPG DSCN0177.JPG

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Backsides please.

My gut feel is these are reproductions. Tin glazed faience of the original age ought to have some bangs and chips. Plus, the decoration is too deliberate and careful, especially what looks like a purposeful over run on the writing.

3. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

But photos of the backs can be helpful.

4. Ownedbybear

Hence the ask for backsides. ;)

5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

sigh . . . I didn't even see that, Bear!

6. J&J Green

J&J Green New Member

Ok, thanks for your response. Here is one photo of the back of the plate. I can add others, better quality if helpful..
    Thanks again. DSCN0176.JPG

7. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

at the moment I get a feeling that they were - if really old - made in England because they seem to be anti-revolution.

8. Ownedbybear

fid, I think there's almost no age to them at all, especially looking at the backs. The clay is an odd colour, the glaze is VERY gloopy and those wear marks on the edges look deliberate.

9. J&J Green

J&J Green New Member

I'm finding the backs difficult to photograph but here are another few attempts.

Thanks to all for their comments so far..
    Best wishes DSCN0185.JPG DSCN0186.JPG DSCN0181.JPG DSCN0193.JPG

10. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

own, what makes them interesting to me: they seem to have a certain connection with the Vendée uprising and war. especially the one marked 1793 may refer to the introduction of mandatory military service, here jokingly showing that even wives when good citizens were under arms.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Holy gallows humor, Batman. They don't look particularly old to me either. A lot of pieces like this were made as souvenirs for the Bicentennial of the Revolution. That's most likely what they are.

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The crazing makes it look like it was made differently than J&J's.

14. rnwerner

rnwerner New Member

The eBay listing is pretty accurate -- these are from Nevers, sometime in the last quarter of the 19th century. Virtually all of the revolutionary decorated faience available today was made sometime after 1860.

kentworld likes this.
  15. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Did the French actually have whiskers on their tongues?

16. Ownedbybear

Those Ebay ones do look period, I don't think these do.

17. Jo Taylor

Jo Taylor Member

'Rasoir National' = the guillotine.
    There are a lot of repro plates like this around - and others which have simply been made the same for many years. Best to put it in the hands of someone who can determine / 'feel' its age.
    The 'wear' on the edges of these looks a bit suspect without any crazing being present.

komokwa and kentworld like this.
  18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think offering someone a free shave during the revolution would be equivalent to inviting a bandit to a "necktie party".

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  19. J&J Green

J&J Green New Member

Thanks, all, for your helpful comments. Here's a photos of the third plate. From your comments it seems that they are most likely reproductions. Grateful for any more insight from you guys? I guess we will follow Jo Taylor's advice and try and get someone to look at them. Thanks again! DSCN0198.JPG DSCN0198.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted