Featured Fake? Roman Glass Square Bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Soki, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Soki

Soki Active Member

Hi,

I bought this pretty nice bottle for about 30 bucks. I already considered this to be fake. It was stated as „property of a private art and design collection“ and cologne (Köln, Germany) as finding spot.
    I‘m totally new to Roman Glass, but I read a lot about it. These are the reasons, why I think this piece to be fake:

- very even and unnatural looking rainbow iridescence. It also doesn’t flake off.

- non withered pontil mark

- unusual colour (looks like a nice blue aquamarine colour). More common is a very soft aqua tone.

Is this piece a keeper? It looks pretty nice, but I normally don‘t collect any fakes. It could be interesting though to compare it to other pieces.

Here are some authentic pieces:

https://edit.gerda-henkel-stiftung....luxemburger-strasse-koeln/form-51_103051.html

Thanks a lot

upload_2022-12-31_11-40-32.jpeg
    upload_2022-12-31_11-40-41.jpeg
    upload_2022-12-31_11-40-50.jpeg
    upload_2022-12-31_11-41-0.jpeg

Figtree3, johnnycb09, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree it's a copy, but it may still be an older one. 19th C maybe. Lovely colour.

3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have several Roman bottles and all of them have flakes inside . And yes the iridescence seems to be a different color than yours.

Figtree3, Bronwen and Soki like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's also too heavy a glass.

Bronwen and Soki like this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes the "rainbow" is a giveaway. I do like the look of the bottle itself though! :)

Bronwen and Soki like this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think you probably mean non weathered, and yes you are correct about that too.

7. Soki

Soki Active Member

yes, I mean non weathered:)

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Soki

Soki Active Member

That‘s definetely possible. In Germany we also still have some traditional glass makers, e.g the Joska Waldglashütte. Here is a piece made by them:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/175088110368?hash=item28c4108b20:g:NjQAAOSwqXJhzdX1&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoAAp3GTX90ZEEwjM73mTubL9GvbcKiKzmkAB1MGxaNd7Gsm1Id1tE4ODfAUhbTovLyh32tC2OOENJeIXMSi9bkkX1nGG1XKe7Ran30aKZu8xj0K0fQWeQr5Gd1GWemU/lCsLGXzT5SmW+xB2qRK7yvWz225m96OhwdqlT7bYfxT26rCq+9ladj9T+7flWX8S4NJYD0CAO1Ze2S2GbGFdZ+0=|tkp:Bk9SR7aUtNWtYQ

You’re right. It should be less thick and probably be lighter in weight, too. It weighs ~184g and is 13.5cm high and about 7.5cm width.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted