Fake Silver WW1 Medal

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Brubaker50, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Brubaker50

Brubaker50 Well-Known Member

Picked up this silver WW1 medal but doing my bit of research I saw the exact same one with the same name C Beesley and same number with the same regiment .Looking at the medal nothing suggests to the ignorant me thats its not what it is cant see any fake flaws or anything that doesnt look right.But Im out of my comforst zone with this medal any thoughts greatly appreciated as usual thank you. P7200058.JPG P7200057.JPG

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It looks OK to me. Is it possible the medal you have is the other one you found?

It is possible that the War Office issued a replacement medal to a legitimate recipient.

It really does not seem worth while to do a really good reproduction of what is a fairly common medal of modest value. If I were doing it I would name it to an officer, officer medals are a lot scarcer.

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Visually it looks fine to me.
    Best checks to do is weigh it, it should be 33.5grams without the ribbon.
    It should measure 36mm.
    6.5 million BWR (British War Medal) were issued in Sterling silver so check it with a magnet, it should not adhere to a magnet.
    If it passes these tests then get hold of a Rare Earth Magnet on eBay, they are very cheap and are a good way of testing for silver.
    It has the wrong ribbon attached, that one is for its partner the bronze "Victory Medal"
    Here is a very good reference site for British medals.
    http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/

4. Brubaker50

Hi thanks for the replies the medal is 36mm exactly and doesn't stick to a magnet and weighs 33.5 grams .No sign of it being a good medal very well detailed .

5. Brubaker50

Meant to say it looks well made .

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Can you show the edge lettering. The official style is quite distinctive, but it may just have been unofficially renamed. Although this would be odd for a BWM.

7. Brubaker50

Think these will show the writing I havent tried to clean the medal. P7240087 (2).JPG P7240088 (2).JPG

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Worcester Regiment.
    I don`t think there is anything wrong with this, not a fake.

9. Brubaker50

Thanks for all the replies very much appreciated .

Draft saved Draft deleted