fake tiffany silver?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Asian Fever, Sep 10, 2018.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Personally, don't see anything wrong on those candlesticks, any perceived problems with the marks are because they were struck on the curved underside, over the reverse of the ribs on the top surface - the Director's letter dates them from 1907-47, with the pattern number indicating this particular design was introduced in 1906.

Feel sure they're all three the same set, with the marks from a different candlestick shown in one listing (they're all in California) - the 1stdibs listing shows it as 'no longer available', and if by chance someone buys them on Ruby Lane, then they can be pulled from the auction, and the Ruby Lane listing can be removed before the auction ends.

~Cheryl

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

But the listing says they are no longer available.

5. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

I lost the bid on this pair.
    This pair is also carved on the curved base, however, it looks much nicer.

upload_2018-9-10_19-8-42.png

upload_2018-9-10_19-9-0.png

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy, komokwa and judy like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

That's an older design, the pattern dating to 1889, the candlesticks produced between 1891 and 1902 - unlike the previously discussed marks, these were struck on a relatively smooth area, without depressions from the design, will say that the 'Tiffany' is chattered and the 'S' on 'STERLING' is very messy, almost looks like it was struck over something, but don't see any problem with these marks either...

If you are going to spend that kind of money on silver, might consider investing in some educational references - if Tiffany is a particular interest, Carpenter's 'Tiffany Silver' (1978) is the best general reference, and for flatware, Dr. Hood's 'Tiffany Silver Flatware 1845-1905' (1999) is a great book. The Loring books are all quite lovely and most are also informational, but are more coffee table books.

~Cheryl

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Christmasjoy, komokwa, judy and 3 others like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I have seen one seller offer the same cameo, simultaneously, on eBay, Ruby Lane & through Bonhams, the big auction house. If it sells, she just pulls it from the other venues.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

We do that as well, on a much more modest scale, Etsy and two Dutch sites. If it sells on one site, we remove the listing from the others.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Just out of curiosity, I emailed Rau’s yesterday and asked what references I can find those Tiffany marks. I immediately received 3 auto generated responses letting me know I would receive an answer by the next business day.
    Today I received 3 auto generated responses. 2 were the same descriptive and photos of the listing. The other was telling me how to get added to their catalog mailing list. :hilarious:

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted