Featured Family crest identification

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Wendlekins, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Wendlekins

Wendlekins Active Member

ABC07FCC-2BF3-4F1E-B36E-9F10EBEE30D8.jpeg 0C948764-7BC8-4319-A124-4E926002D874.jpeg FE6B49D7-9CE1-4D90-A635-BD0C45FA1007.jpeg I bought a lovely nutmeg with silver hallmarks c1794
    I’ve been trying to identify the family crest on top .
    It has a lovely motto underneath “May we live well and die happy”
    Would be great to know which family it belonged to , my search alone has been fruitless so far any ideas gratefully received

J Dagger, Any Jewelry, Ce BCA and 4 others like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I pulled out my Fairbairn's Crests book however it seems to be most helpful when you already have a name. I use it so infrequently that I'm not very good at it.

If it helps, he seems to call the cross Raguled and the V shapes Pheon.

Any Jewelry, Ce BCA, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. Wendlekins

Wendlekins Active Member

Thank you very much , that gives me something to work on now

judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So the Fletcher family seems to come closest. (If there even is a Fletcher family; this could be internet nonsense.)

Debora

Unknown.png

5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Fletcher is a very old name in the UK, it is literally a tradesmans name, a Fletcher made arrows, just like 'Smith' was from blacksmith.

Interesting the motto is in English, would expect it to be Latin from this period.

6. Wendlekins

Wendlekins Active Member

Thank you Debora , very interesting , I know a few people with the name fletcher

komokwa likes this.
  7. Wendlekins

Wendlekins Active Member

Yes I was very surprised myself that it was in English , I can tell that it’s definitely engraved around the time that it was made

judy likes this.
  8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The shield displays the broad arrow which is associated with the War Dept and Ministry of Defence.
    In heraldry, the arrowhead generally points downwards.
    It sort of backs up your arrow makers suggestion.
    So Fletcher it is :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broad_arrow

bercrystal, komokwa, Ce BCA and 2 others like this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes, the text engraving definitely looks contemporary with the arms, the fact it is in English may offer a clue to the original family if it can be traced. Translating it to Latin it would probably be 'ut bene vivimus et mori beatus'. Afaik that isn't a known Latin phrase, so it doesn't seem likely the motto was an English translation from the Latin. Thus the motto appears English from the get-go perhaps indicative of a recently (at the time) established family.

komokwa, Wendlekins and Tanya like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

These are from Fairbairn's Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, if it helps.

20211001_062802.jpg 20211001_062741.jpg 20211001_062851.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  11. Wendlekins

Wendlekins Active Member

Yes I was thinking along those lines so your comments are very reassuring thank you

komokwa likes this.
  12. Wendlekins

Wendlekins Active Member

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted