Family Dry Sink

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Shep, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Shep

Shep New Member

Hello Everyone! I was passed down a dry sink that me and my father know was my great grandmothers (his grandma) but do not know if it pre-dates her. I plan on trying to re-finish it if possible. Below are some pictures.

Any Ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Shep! Definitely an old looking piece, but not technically a "dry sink." A dry sink actually has a "sink" in the work surface, which yours does not have. It looks more like a wash stand with space for a wash basin and pitcher to be stored below.

Let me tag some furniture gurus for you. @verybrad @James Conrad @Ghopper1924

3. Shep

Shep New Member

@Bakersgma thank you for your input and for tagging the furniture gurus!

judy, Ghopper1924 and Bakersgma like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Victorian Eastlake style,1870-80s I think. I think its a washstand as well,but I cant recall seeing one with a lock before.

verybrad, judy, James Conrad and 5 others like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I believe this is technically called a commode; the object in question being placed behind the little door. But washstand works just as well. No doubt an American piece, check out the pin and cove joinery on the drawers. Nice walnut ca. 1885-95 and Eastlake style, like Johnny said.

Oh, and nice job on the photos!

Figtree3, verybrad, judy and 5 others like this.
  6. Shep

Shep New Member

@johnnycb09 @Ghopper1924 Thank you both for the insightful input! It is impressive to know that this was possibly with my family through five generations...most likely my great great grandmothers if the time period is correct.

I am excited to restore it!

Ghopper1924, judy and James Conrad like this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I just love Eastlake hardware.

Ghopper1924, judy, Shep and 1 other person like this.
  8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, Eastlake & you can date it fairly close because of those "knapp" joints/pin & cove on drawers, only in use between 1870-1900. Called a wash stand in america, commode in europe, same thing really.
    Yes, it could use a new finish, make a big difference in it's appearance & increase value as well.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nothing more to add. Pretty well covered by everyone above.

Shep, Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  10. Shep

Shep New Member

Any idea on a price range for the piece? Don't plan on selling but just out of curiosity.

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Here in my semi-rural Midwest location, around $100.00 give or take, at retail. You might find it selling for more in a big city.

12. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

$100 is right, but with a nice refinish could be a little more. In any case, it would be solid wood, beautiful, and good for another hundred years.

13. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Agree on the price tag as well. I have essentially the same wash stand with a marble top. Think it set me back about $100 at estate sale.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Noticed those right away. Interesting!

Draft saved Draft deleted