famous Marilyn Monroe poster, is this one a repro?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by sunday silence, May 24, 2024.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

first picture is for reference, it is from a recent auction. These were sold in the early 50s in the back of magazines such as Popular Science they are about 60" tall so they get a lot of attention when they come up for auction. But the recent one that came up at auction it has more wording on the bottom left it says "..write: Life Size, Dept X, Redstone NH." that is picture 2. Picture 3 is from a worthpoint listing and you can see it has less wording just "...Marilyn Monroe". So I was wondering if these are both authentic or is one or both a reproduction?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 24, 2024
    Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

It may have been printed over several years in the 1950s? That may account for the paper sizes. Is the paper yellowed or toned?

4. sunday silence

Hello Roaring: Yes these were both about 62". The top one was from the recent auction it went $380 which makes sense if the retail price (ebay or similar) goes about 700. (going from memory). Ive seen them go over $500 at auction pre covid so they always do very well.

I passed on the recent one but as I was looking at them I was struck that the wording was different. I figured the one with the PO Box was the repro now I am more confused as to why there are at least three different versions.

I was not at the auction in person so I could not use a loop or anything else to check it closely.

5. sunday silence

well like I said I was not there in person and these are the only images I saved. its an interesting issue.

Roaring20s likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted