Featured Faux Pearls- what to do?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Nov 13, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I have a mounting collection of faux pearls that I need to shift as space is at a premium here.
    The question is what to do with them!. The cheap ones with the coating coming off are easy as I cut off usable clasps and they hit the bin.
    The ones in good condition with no damage and nice clasps ( like the flower clasp in the photo) do they sell?.
    The ‘named’ ones Ciro etc nice clasp but pearls are average and losing their coating?
    I’ve seen a group of clasps sell for way more than a listing of complete necklaces although I keep clasps like these deco ones to clean, restore and reuse.

Which ones should stay together because that’s the right thing to do to preserve them?

Sorry that turned into a bit of a ramble......
    I’ve tried stripping the coating off to reuse old faux pearls and it’s rarely worth the effort.
    Photo just as an example of what I’ve got :)
    Thanks for looking
    8E6B4D78-44BD-4338-AC68-57B141E0496A.jpeg DB1A40EC-B1D4-4A1E-BDAE-C95AB22A1EB6.jpeg 07E85913-0569-4C50-BA92-DF2203DFF29F.jpeg

BMRT, lovewrens, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  2. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I personally have not found that faux pearls sell very well because there's so many out there. However, with those nice clasps, I could be wrong.

I usually accumulate a bunch and list as a lot for "crafting, harvesting, repurpose, etc.". Maybe taking the clasps off and selling them by themselves would be better though...less shipping weight and all. Someone who is looking to harvest for repurpose might only be interested in the clasps anyway.

patd8643, kyratango, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd agree. I think the value is in the clasps. Maybe freecycle the pearls?

patd8643, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Excellent advice above.

Debora

5. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I think there are a number of people out there who make/remake jewelry who may be interested in the pretty clasps!

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and KSW like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Freecycle, that’s a great idea!.

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Some schools love broken bits for crafts, too, I've done that in the past.

8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Full of good ideas today OBB!.
    Today my random donation to 4 of the littlest primary school children was 5 minutes with a small hedgehog doing hedgehog PR work. Each child peeked into the box and there were lots of little squeaks of excitement. He is now in the wildlife hospital as too small to survive winter on his own.

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I suspect my efforts would turn out more like this-

CD1E2AA5-989E-4507-8F65-DA97F8732391.jpeg

11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

As well as Freecycle there’s also Next Door. Had a local lady only last week asking for unwanted beads and buttons for projects for the disabled.

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I'd give them to the next kindergarten.

Bronwen, KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

I adore hedgepigs. Had one living in my garden for years: the first time my then fat very long haired fluff came nose to nose with the hedgie was hysterical. Oh for a camera then.

My god daughter wore white wellies embellished with pearls to her wedding and arrived on a vintage steam tractor!

kyratango, Bronwen, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I like those Choo shoes. Oh darn, no place to wear them..
    The other photo of the mishap with the pearls on the shoes, look like something I could make worse by touch. Not a bit of craftiness in my body.

patd8643, Houseful, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Aww, sweet.:happy: You do good work.

16. Any Jewelry

What about while you are replying to Antiquers? I could think of worse things to wear.

17. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

True, they could replace my Ugg slippers.

18. Any Jewelry

Well there you go.:playful:

kyratango, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Oh! Wish you had sent a pic. I love them & we don't have a native hedgehog in the US.

They would be refused as a choking hazard. Would have to be for older kids.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

You might want to offer some of the pearls to the local people who hold training for little children in how to behave a tea parties, etc. The Girls Scouts Brownies, CAR (Children of the American Revolution) on the Daughters of the American Revolution group projects, kindergartens (as noted) and the local professional groups who do these things, too. Also, they love to get hats with feathers and white gloves. Also, there are local craft groups that use all kinds of jewelry (beads, pearls, pins, loose rhinestones, etc) to make Christmas decorations for their their funds raisers that raise money for local charities. No need to throws beads in "file 13," "the circular file," "trash bin," or whatever you call it. Put the to good use, you will be glad you did.

Houseful, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted