Feedback on Ittobori Daruma doll

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by scoutshouse, Oct 17, 2014.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Hopefully someone knows a little about Daruma? This piece is unsigned and stands about 60mm tall, and bears a lot of similarities to the work of Sukenaga/Sukesada from Hido province, mid 19c. I have seen one indicating a student of Sukesada, but that was signed also...

I know this is ittobori (one cut) daruma (doll, not netsuke button or toggle) matsu (pine). The two-toned effect was supposed to contribute to the humor of the piece.

There is nice age and a very finely textured surface I tried to capture, like it has been polished with a wire brush.

I haven't mastered the art of inserting images on this site - They show up fine in my composer here, but only as attachments in preview. Sorry for any inconvenience. :(

Daruma (12).jpg Daruma (11).jpg Daruma (10).jpg Daruma (12).jpg Daruma (9).jpg Daruma (10).jpg
    Sukenaga netsuke http://www.antiquenetsuke.co.uk/?page_id=24&page=26
    SukenagaIttoboriMatsu.JPG
    Sukesada netsuke http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SUKESADA-19t...3650156?pt=Asian_Antiques&hash=item43c721316c
    SekusadaIttoboriMatsu.JPG

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I can tell you, you know a lot more about it already than I do.

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. scoutshouse

haha :)

...but I can't say when it was made!

4. scoutshouse

Laughing bc just last week I was corrected: it's net-skee, not net-su-kee

5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Scoutshouse, your photos are perfect on my computer. ;)

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Strangely, that's something I did know. You have to sort of trip over the 'u' rather than pronouncing it.

I like Sukesada pieces better. I think it has to do with the angle of the eyes, which seems strangely canted in yours. Also yours is more stylized and gives less of the impression of a shrouded figure. Not to say it isn't a nifty bit of carving.

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. scoutshouse

thanks - I don't know why my preview wasn't showing them, but relieved.

8. scoutshouse

My Japanese friends' names, Atsuko and Atsumi are pronounced same: ATS-ko and ATS-mi so I get it now... :)

I like them both - they look very intensely disgusted - imagine waking up without arms and legs for praying a little too hard - not a very funny joke :)

Some are yawning - waking up, blissfully ignorant of what's to come?

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted