Fenton blue glass? Similarities, but...would love to know more in any case !

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tom Mackay, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

Here it is - is "square-necked" correct ?
    Hopefully the pics will describe it better than I could.
    It is 8" tall (203mm).
    20170418_181829.jpg 20170418_182604.jpg 20170418_174042.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Without book time for the shape I do not know it. For me the decoration says closer to 1900 than Fenton style painting. I am not even sure if it is USA. I would suggest the Early American Pattern Glass Society FB page picture files as a possible place to start for the shape.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

I was thinking 1880s-90s.
    I believe Fenton didn't open until 1908 or there abouts.

5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

the pontil mark pretty much excludes Fenton, but for very rare exceptions.

6. Tom Mackay

Here's a better look at the pontil. (I hope.) 20170423_102739.jpg 20170423_102617.jpg

7. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Fenton has no Pontil mark.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice photo's !!!

9. Tom Mackay

Thanks. I try hard to represent things accurately.

komokwa likes this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I LOVE the handle, and the painting. I thought Fenton at first until I saw the pontil.
    greg

11. clutteredcloset49

It's called a reed or reeded handle

12. Tom Mackay

A remark I saw somewhere led me to a photo with quite a similar pitcher to mine said to be by New England Glass ( but a different colour and not painted).
    Antique-Amberina-Pitcher-New-England-Glass-Company.jpg Phoenix-Amberina-7-Ruby-Cranberry-Pitcher.jpg

That led to another that looks identical that the owner claims was made by Phoenix Glass
    https://picclick.com/Phoenix-Amberina-7-Ruby-Cranberry-Pitcher-350422173428.html

I think the second image has a more rounded "shoulder" (?) on the body than the first and in that regard is more like mine, but the dots on both seem much less subtle than on mine.
    When I was searching using "Northwood handpainted blue glass pitcher" I saw flowers painted in a style very like mine on a few pieces and identical floral elements on one piece, but the owner didn't know its maker.

judy likes this.
  13. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

Nice glass and love the Canadian dime. If I had enough of them I would buy this.

komokwa and judy like this.
  14. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The shape of the pitcher, bulbous plus the "square" top is too well copied to be representative of its manufacture, both here (in the USA) and in Europe/Bohemia.

Its a pretty pitcher, the rough pontil indicates a small lack of concern about finish.

The decoration does resemble some done by Phœnix, but, and this may help, Phœnix was managed by one of the Webbs, from England.

I cannot attribute the pitcher to any source I'm aware of.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Known as celery handles here. That enamelling does look a tad English, and we certainly had companies making square necks like that. Whitefriars made similar in the 50s and later, but this isn't one of theirs. Too early.

Draft saved Draft deleted