Fenton or Wavecrest

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mr2real, Jan 4, 2016.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

This piece measures 6" in diameter and 4.5" tall. The bottom center appears polished. Both lips are cut. The lip to the lid has chips pretty much all the way around. I know Fenton has this shape, number 6080. Fenton calls it wavecrest, but there was a company called Wavecrest that made similar pieces as well. Any thoughts are appreciated.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I think Wavecrest...but I've only had one.

3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Wave Crest is a trade name used by C. F. Monroe company for their decorated/painted ware. They were a decorating cutting company buying blanks from manufactures. One of the items was a box that looked like this but the catalog pages and Cohen's book all show the boxes with an ormelu hinge and rims. I would call this Fenton production.

gregsglass and KingofThings like this.
  4. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

5. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Wavecrest pieces are more often thinner glass. Yours looks thick in comparison. Wavecrest likely decorated similar, as shown here, but would be valued at maybe 20% of wavecrest.jpg their thinner, more decorative pieces.

6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Just a thought, would Fenton have had a ground and polished pontil?

7. George Nesmith

Fenton couold have a polished pontil but most often not. There soes not appear to be any usage marks on the base which I would expct to see from a 1900 piece. On the other hand the interior rim nicks look like maybe somebody removed an ormelu rim. Tom do you know where Monroe bought these blanks?

8. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

I'm not a Fenton collector, but thought most of their ware was blown and and not always with a completely polished down pontil. Did they also have moulds with poured glass? The subject of this thread I had thought poured.

9. George Nesmith

This piece is mold blown. If pressed in a mold the interior would have been smooth and not followed the pattern in reverse. Fenton did both..

10. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

If C.F. Monroe (Wavecrest) the collars would not overlap. They would be the same diameter. Real Wavecrest isn't pontiled, polished or otherwise.

This piece isn't pontiled either. It's Fenton though, as others have said.

Fenton is not pontiled, except for rare early speciality pieces. Fenton is both blown and...pressed.

Poured glass? might you mean pressed glass?

11. SnoozeBob

SnoozeBob New Member

This IS a Fenton piece, probably from the 1960s. Fenton's Wave Crest design was inspired by Frank M. Fenton's purchase of an antique Wave Crest jewelry box. The pattern was used until Fenton closed down.

12. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Robert Barber items from 1976 for Fenton have Pontil marks. Earlier Fenton Art Glass items have pontil marks. None of the other Fenton items have pontil marks. Maybe some One-of- a- kind have pontil marks. The white covered box is Fenton. Not worth very much because of the Chips. No Fenton Carnival Glass have pontil marks.

Draft saved Draft deleted